Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Nice wheels. The Cragars are kinda cool, but I'm not a fan of them especially from a safety standpoint if they are uni-lug which those appear to have been and they were 14s anyway. Looks like your previous setup caught the edge of the fender like mine did about a year ago.

Kinda bummed to hear that the Eastwood roller is too large for the wheel opening, since that is what I picked up off of Marketplace a little while back and was hoping to use on my car.
You might have better luck with your roller, I was struggling with mine to the point where I gave up and went old-school. I'm not proud of the roll, but it works. :(

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I dunno how you got 225/60/15 wheels to fit in the front with torq thrust wheels. Everything I’ve read here says that almost impossible even with rolling the fenders. I go back and forth on wanting those wheels for my 65. I love how they look and almost pull the trigger on a yearly basis but then stop myself after reading the posts here and how they will rub. Kudos
They fit quite well, but it cannot be done without rolling the fenders. After I was done I drove around with zero issues. Actually this was filmed quite a while ago and I have had zero issues this whole time. I have not needed to go back and re-roll any part as there's no issues. FWIW, I had another '66 before this car, did the same treatment to the fenders with the same size tire and wheels, no issues.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I was looking at switching to 225 60 15 tires from 215 60 15 but with the 4.25 backspacing on 15x7 Magnum 500s I don't think it will clear the upper ball joint bulge on the control arm. That might be less of an issue with the Torque Thrust since they seem to have a backspacing that places them farther out. Something else to consider here is front suspension. I think it will be a much tighter fit if things like the Shelby drop has been done.
The wheels I purchased have a 3.75" BS (-6mm Offset) and there's plenty of room, in case anyway is looking for a comparison.
With the Shelby changing the mounting location of the UCA, the position of the upper ball joint to the tire/wheel is essentially the same. Well, enough to where that should not be a factor in anyone's wheel/tire choice.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Nice! Goes really well with your Mustang. Here is my 68' with 15x7 225/60/15 rear and 215/60/15 front. I didn't realize at he time I was building my car I could easily have gone 225 up front on a 68' without any rolling necessary.

Mine are Torque Thrust D's from the late 90's. I've been thinking of replacing them with the Original VN309 style such as you have. Not just because I like them, but I think the rears are getting a little bit out of round. I mounted and balanced them myself and could see it on the machine.

I'm not sure if I want to do 'staggered' with 15x8 in the back or stay all 15x7. I don't really need to rotate them as I do about 5k per year at most.

One thing...just incase it has to be said. You really must put a click-clack torque wrench on these. Especially when they are new! I set mine to 90 ft/lb and retorque them a couple times per season. I worked in tire shops in high school and my early 20's and had cars come in all the time with hand-loose lugnuts often, and a little electric impact may not put down enough torque or do it evenly. If using an air gun use an 85 or 90 torque stick always. Over tightening can warp things.

I also found some smaller, all-metal American Racing caps that aren't all long and plastic-y like the ones it comes with. To get around the hub issue for flats I believe there is a product to cover the hub or a slightly longer flat cap for the front. You can also just take the hub cover off, but not sure what long-term effects that could have. Probably not much if you are not driving it in rain, as the bearing is covered up.

Cheers and Enjoy.
jsbenami, I don't want to hijack this, but what's the backspacing on your 68? I want to run the same on mine.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
How was the ride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Better, but a little stiffer which is fine. I don't get enough miles pre/post of these mods as most of my ownership so far has been fall/winter months. I have put about 150 miles on this car since I bought it. I plan to get it out more now that the weather is better, but I'm always in the middle of a mod or upper grade every time the weather is nice enough to drive.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I have seen those torque thrust flat caps with a hole for the front, you might look into that?
I was considering those, but I went to the guy I purchased the other caps from and bought a set of his thicker caps with the back bored out. I posted a pick with those caps up above in Post #8. :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Better, but a little stiffer which is fine. I don't get enough miles pre/post of these mods as most of my ownership so far has been fall/winter months. I have put about 150 miles on this car since I bought it. I plan to get it out more now that the weather is better, but I'm always in the middle of a mod or upper grade every time the weather is nice enough to drive.
I’ve got TT 15”s with RTAs. I thinks it’s the perfect look for the 65/66 FB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1966 Blue Coupe
40 Posts
aak: Looks really nice. Would like to go 15" also but car was built with 2 in drop. Not sure I can
Sea / Tac area also.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
aak: Looks really nice. Would like to go 15" also but car was built with 2 in drop. Not sure I can
Sea / Tac area also.
It's doable. Naturally, skinnier tires would be the easiest route to fitting a desired wheel size in your lowered car. Also, looking into getting a different backspacing (or Offset) would help reduce or remove any potential rubbing. But also reducing the camber in the front may help as well. Maybe this it the opportunity to add some fender flares or widebody parts to the car?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Ok . Thanks. Good info. Keep going back and forth between Red lines and T/A's
I'm sure someone could confirm here, but 205's will fit without rubbing, maybe even 215's? To get the meatiest tire on there though, you'll have to either roll the fenders and/or play with the camber setting.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm running TTDs on my 66. 7" up front and 8" out back. The 235's on the back look like they would rub if the suspension moved enough but in 2 years they haven't. I have 215s on the front. Not sure why but only one side rubs and very rarely so I've left it for now. I'll either roll the fender or go to a 205.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts