Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts

215/60R15 Front
235/69R15 Rear

No rub. But I do get some impact on the rear fender over big bumps. My shocks suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I'm running TTDs on my 66. 7" up front and 8" out back. The 235's on the back look like they would rub if the suspension moved enough but in 2 years they haven't. I have 215s on the front. Not sure why but only one side rubs and very rarely so I've left it for now. I'll either roll the fender or go to a 205.

View attachment 789384
Car looks good.

Roll that fender.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
I've got 205/60/15 on the front and 215/60/15 on the rear. No problems with either one regarding clearance.

·
Registered
239 Posts
What about going with a 15x6 TT up front, does that make a difference in fit and rub? Along with either a 205 or 215 60/15 tire.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
The 6" wide TT wheels will have a 3.66" backspacing, which means the outer edge of the wheel is slightly more inside the edge of the fender when compared to the 7" wide wheel. Meaning, you gain a pinch of clearance with the skinnier wheel. Then, couple that with a skinnier tire (215 or 205) and that brings it inboard even more when comparing to the 225 tires like I have on my car. Prior to my new wheels, I had 6" wide wheels with 205 tires with zero rubbing issues (even with the car lowered). I probably could have put 215 wide tires on those same older wheels and it would have cleared. So, the long answer is yes, you can likely put 215 on the 6" wheels with no issue, but it comes down to the backspacing. More backspacing brings that wheel and tire further inboard, giving you more clearance with your fender. But too much backspacing can cause fitment and rubbing issues with the UCA and Sprint/Shock combo, plus possibly hitting other items in the fender well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I haven't had much luck with the new T/A radials. Their manufactured in Mexico now under Coker Tire. The blue protectant on the white letters is hard to get off and the letters tend to turn brown. I have a set of T/A's manufactured in the US and the white letters stay white with little care.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is one of those upgrades that can transform a car with a single part. While there are thousands of wheels that fit these cars, there are only a few that "fit" these cars. Unfortunately this car looks like every other '66 with American Racing wheels, this is definitely an upgrade from the 14" wheels that were on there before.

Here's the video on the install

I also had to roll the fenders slightly due to the larger tires. This would have been a different video if I was able to get the fender roller to work correctly.
great video. nice wheels and tires.
I think my 64 1/2 would look better with larger tires, but I'm concerned with fender rub and frame rub when turning. I don't want to roll the fenders. any suggestions on tire size? my original 64 1/2, that I drove off the showroom floor in June of 64, came with 6:95 13s as I remember. I put 8" chrome reverse with I believe 8:75 14s and had to notch the frame to eliminate tire rub on a full turn.
any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
The tire rub can come from a range of combos between tire size, wheel size, and wheel backspacing (Offset). A wide tire and wide wheel with the perfect offset may work. A skinny tire and skinny wheel with a poor offset can cause rubbing.
My suggestion is to find a look that you like and try to emulate that but using those three sizes (tire size, wheel size, and offset) to get you as close as you can without modifications. A meaty/beafie looking tire can be had with a 6" wheel and the right offset. There are limits to how wide of tire can go on a given wheel width, but there's where you come in with a new post on here and ask the good people for guidance (kind of like what you're doing now). But you'll need to start somewhere.
For example, if you were looking to replicate the look of my setup, and that tire width is what you want, you'll have to go with a wheel with a higher backspacing (the caveat is the back spacing is tied to the wheel width, meaning a 3.75" backspacing on an 7" wheel will sit differently on your car than a 3.75" backspacing on a 6" wheel). Also, the 225/60 tires I have might work on a 6" wheel, but it may not be recommended. This is where I'd let someone with 215/55 tires on a 15x7 or 15x6 wheel chime in with their backspacing and how it fits.
Lastly, my car is lowered, so I don't have any data on my tire and wheel size with respect to rubbing on a stock height car.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts