Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I noticed there was no fuel in the carb (brand new fuel pump) I cranked the engine but no fuel came out, so I went to the hose that attaches to the fuel pump. No fuel in the line leading to the fuel pump. I then went to the tank, new tank and fuel sending unit, I pulled off the hose at the tank and no gas was ever in the line. So what do I do now, is it my fuel pump, what exactly does the fuel sending unit do. Any suggestions?

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
2 possibilities. The fuel line is pluged or the fuel line is pluged.

My tank was rusty and it actually and it actually plugged the fuel line with gunk... This may have happened to you also.

The fuel may not have run through since you replaced the tank and the sending unit. You may want to put pressure the tank with air until it comes out the front..

You may want to blow the line out with an air hose. If you do it from the front of the car you can blow off the filter sock in the tank. So you may want to disconnect the rubber fuel line at the tank first.

Don't worry! You are almost there!

G

·
fuel pump sucks gas and spits it in to the line to the carb and the sending unit does just that,sends a signal to tell how full the tank is or how much gas is left it has nothing to do with no gas the pump is problibly whats wrong if its not too much take the new one of and try the old one(i know how much that sucks with power stearing)good luck

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
What kind of fuel pump are you running? I have a holley on my car so it is possible on it to hook lines up backwards on that type of pump.

69 Mach 1 427 Windsor

·
Registered
781 Posts
Not to be too funny..... But do you have Gas in the tank???? hehehe

JDiehl
70 76b Convert 351C 4v w/a shaker!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I hate to mention it, but that new fuel pickup is pointing DOWN in the tank, yes ? Sounds like it isn't in the fuel for whatever reason, whether it be empty tank or fuel pickup pointing in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The fuel system is set up like a syphon. All the fuel pump needs to do is speed up the flow of the fuel. If the line were primed then your fuel pump would probably do the rest. If the pump is old you can replace it and it might do a better job of sucking the air out OR you can suck the air out of the line yourself and get the fuel from out of the tank into the fuel line. Then re-connect the pump and try it again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts