Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by the bodyshop that will be painting my car. The guy has a 64.5 coupe that is being restored for a local doctor. The car is 90% finished. It looks good. Man, I love just hanging out and watching and learning. I asked the guy that was actually doing the restoration many questions. Mainly about how well the repro stuff fit. I was glad to hear the the all the repro weatherstripping fit and looked good. The repro rear valance sucked, so he found a used original (perfect).

I do have one question. The alum timing cover "C4xx" something was cracked and he got a cast iron one with a cast iron water pump. The old water pump (which is new BTW) is an alum pump. Can I use this pump with my '67 alum timing cover? I think the pump is stamped with a "C4xx". The good thing is the outlet is on the pass. side, which is what I need.

Thanks,

Brad Lee

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
The aluminum pumps on the early engines had an open impeller area and the timing cover was cast with a recess and coolant channels to accomodate this. I have the OEM cover and style pump on my D-coder, which is similar, but likely not nearly as nice, as the one you saw. I'm running a later aluminum cover on the W in the race car, which has a flat aluminum plate over it with bungs for my electric marine pump to deliver coolant through. There is hardly any recess at all in it and the stock pump for it is cast iron and has a flat steel back plate. I recall the cover on my '67 to be similar to that.

I haven't seen a cast iron SBF timing cover.....any pix?

Wait on some other observations before making a decision as to what to do...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts