1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'm not too surprised by that price,if those are legit ,original, useable "HIPO" main bearing caps I'd pay that price no prob.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That's actually a 302 block. There's a "302" in the lifter valley.

But anyway.....

You can get exact repro HIPO main caps here: "Cobra Automotive" new products page

Slap them on a 289 block and pass it off as a HIPO.

Buyer Beware.

·
Registered
35,856 Posts
Yep- Add these to any C5AE-E block, and presto! Instant HiPo.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Hmmm.... $500 for repro caps, and someone paid $610 for a block and caps. $110 for what appears to a nice period correct block doesn't seem outrageous.... :shrug:

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Don't forget to include shipping in that winning bid too!

·
Registered
35,856 Posts
Hmmm.... $500 for repro caps, and someone paid $610 for a block and caps. $110 for what appears to a nice period correct block doesn't seem outrageous.... :shrug:
No, it's not "period correct", it's a service replacement. Useless for a show car, since it's a "C8" block, and only the "C5" was used in factory 289HP engines.

·
Registered
35,856 Posts
Plus machine work to mate them to the block.
You wanna play you gotta pay. Like was mentioned earlier, that block will still need to be shipped, which'll cost over $100, no doubt. The repro caps come with a little extra material on the sides and bore so they can be precisely fitted to your soon-to-be-clone block. Of course, main bearing cap failure was not a big problem with these engines.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$500 for repro caps is ridiculous. Used go for half that. I'm fairly certain I could get them machined out of billet for about 3 bills, but it helps to have a CNC buddy. Do Mexi blocks go for that? Milodon has cap sets for $300. Who's going to drop your pan and ding you points? As far a s machining, there's plenty of meat on used originals. You just mill off the bottom flat and then spin to size the same way you machine rods.

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
its a .040 block !!!!! if it has not ben sonic tested for wall thickness whats the point in even buying this block. .040 over !!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I do have a C5A-E block in my 69 Mustang, replaced sometime before I bought mine in 1994. The builder informed me that I had a 289 block with 302 heads. He thought that it was something more than a standard block. I had mine tested before it was bored .040 over. It runs strong. It is a San Jose, Ca built car.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
If those are Hipo original caps,Not repos. I would pay that no questions asked.Yes they make repo caps,I'd rather have originals.If I won that as far as shipping I'd tell the seller to just send me the caps,keep the block, I'd take a 66 block and have it machined up.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
OUCH!!

That is steep for those caps. I've worked in in a machine shop with foundry and costs to make would be no where near that. But, they are the only game in town.

Any takers if I can bring a more reasonably priced set to market?

Don

·
Registered
35,856 Posts
OUCH!!

That is steep for those caps. I've worked in in a machine shop with foundry and costs to make would be no where near that. But, they are the only game in town.

Any takers if I can bring a more reasonably priced set to market?

Don
I doubt it's a big mover or they'd be able to move them at a lower price.

I suspect part of that is due to even standard main caps not being a problem.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
No, it's not "period correct", it's a service replacement. Useless for a show car, since it's a "C8" block, and only the "C5" was used in factory 289HP engines.
*sigh*... I said "period" (e.g. FoMoCo, 60's... get it?) not date coded 13.876 to 23.145 days before the build date, concours, or anything about a show car. You assume...

And the repro caps you note are "useless" too, in the context of "correct" so why post them if this was about "correct", and not cost as noted in the original post???? Or is "correct" only what you can't hide from a buyer?

As noted, the old caps are probably just as good as the repros as both can easily be remachined, same process.

But you are right, it is a total travesty that someone is selling OEM parts on the open market, and multiple bidders ended up pricing them for not much more than repros... the audacity!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts