Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I was thinking (neighbors called the fire department, but that is another story). I was contemplating a 4 point harness a couple months ago, and after a conversation with GT350Clone, I scrapped the idea cause I did not want to install a roll bar/cage in my car (necessary because mounting over and down the seats can cause spine compression in a wreck... or something like that).

Today I got to thinking about it again. What does a cage/bar really provide for a 4 point harness? A place to mount the upper points. So (theoretically) if there were a way to mount a bar above my head w/o a cage or bar, I could do a 4 point harness, right? Well, here is what I cam up with!

There are attachment points for the stock 3 point harnesses up and behind the driver and passenger. If I am REMOVING those harnesses, and I HAVE these attachment points (which are assumed to be good enuf to mount harnesses to), what is stopping me from using those points to mount a BAR from side to side, so I can hang my harnesses? It would have to be a fairly rigid piece, but still... should work right? If those mounting points are strong enuf to withstand the force of the stock belts pulling on them during abrubt and sudden decelleration, they should be able to take the force of the bar being tugged on in the same manner.. right? It would not REPLACE A roll bar/cage for other functions (chassis stiffening for instance), but it should be strong enuf for a pair of 4 point harnesses.

Just one of those screw ball things that bounce around in my head. The last idea I had (a push-type cable clutch) was booed off the stage (although I still think it would work)... I dunno... maybe I am just not the ingenuitive type. Feel free to be cynical and condescending now!

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SEE!?! THIS is the kind of bad-attitude remarks I expected! Keep up the good work Mid! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
you getting close to my idea, but yours still doesnt sound as appealing as mine /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

My idea is to mount a hinged (ball joing, pin and clevis, whatever) bar going across the quarter window area, like behind the doors and in fron of and above the rear window cranks. Pretty close to the corner (havent checked the placing with seats in tho).

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
you wanna fight? HUH? HUH? thats what i thought, mine IS better /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,220 Posts
Uhhh, you don't want a roll bar (which will do what you are trying to do + stiffen the chassis, look cool, etc.), but you don't mind hanging a bar across the backseat space/forums/images/icons/frown.gif? I must be missing something? Or maybe YOU are missing something!/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Maybe the sun burned a little deeper than was first suspected at CF II!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Russtang has several good points,, just put in a roll bar ,,It impresses people

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,342 Posts
I mounted my 4 point belts to brackets I made which attatch to where the back of the back seat and the base of the back seat join. The angle is less than 45*...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts