Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finnaly after too many business trips and a few oil leaks the engine was ready for tunning. So I set everything up, start her up without a problem, but suddenly I notice a knocking sound comming from cylinder #3. It was pretty loud, and I could easily feel it by touching the valve cover.

The engine was built about 9 months ago. First time it was fired about 4 months ago and it ran for 20 minutes standard breakin procedures. At that time I did not notice any knocking sounds at all. It was fired a few more times since then, but never ran more than 10 minutes - due to different oil leaks.

What is the easiest way to fingure out the culprit? I would hate to have to yank the whole think out. What should I check, and in which order?

This is what I am thinking:

1. Take the valve cover off, rotate the engine by hand and see if there is any play on cyl #3.
2. Watch to see if the valves lift - if not it may be that the cam went flat.

What else? Please help!

Thanks!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK,

maybe I overreacted. Just took the valve cover, turned it around and on the valve cover oil baffle there is a mark where the rocker arm was hitting. Even thought the lifters are hydraulic, the rockers are adjustable, and I guess stick out pretty high. I was putting off buying aluminum valve covers, but this will be an excellent excuse. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We'll see today. I modified the baffle last night (beat the hell out if it) and put the valve cover back on. So I'll fire it in a little while. Have to wait for the neighbours to wake up, since I have just straight pipes at the moment.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update - that is all that was - a damn valve cover baffle. Got me really really scared! Well, now that that is fixed, gas leak showed it's ugly face at the electric fuel pump outlet. So the battle continues. :naive:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts