Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my mechanic install new motor and transmission mounts today. He showed me in the 66 original ford parts catalog that the vert mounts are a different stock number than the coupe and FB. I didn't have time to look at the take offs, (which I had bought 2 yrs ago at discount Auto parts), to compare the pieces. I'll look at them tomorrow to do the comps on them. I think he said he would purchase the new MM's from Napa. They sure make a difference in the vibration I was feeling. I was able to get up to 85 -90 and not feel the car shaking. He talked me out of the idea of putting a 1/2" bolt thru the existing mounts as he explained that the mounts move in more than 1 plane and a bolt would hinder the other movements. (sounds logical to me) So during the time he spent with my car (he gets really intimate with it) he checked out some other things that may have been contributing to the vibration. and discovered a rear wheel brake cylinder seal has a little leak. I really like the fact that he looks out for me. He also told me if I EVER have another accident in the vert to just go ahead and bury it cause he wont fix it a 3rd time. LOL ;)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
What's the going rate for changing the mounts?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My total bill was 156.00. 13.80EA. for the MM 12.50 for the Trany Mount. He charged me for 1.5 hrs at 64.50 He also did some other work which he said I wasn't charged for. But he always gives me a lot of extra service since I provide him with contracting services. I feel like that was a reasonable amount to pay for labor, sure I could have done it myself, but I don't have a lift and I don't like being under the car on my back , it's awkward.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts