Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking. Before I swaped the cleveland I had the slowest V8 mustang ever produced!! First it was a 302 2v, Califonia smog devices from 72 including smog specific camshaft, fmx, 8 inch with a 2.75 open. Now all this in a big ol 72 had to have produced the SLOWEST v-8 mustang, ever made. I belive I have the slowest mustang aside from 4 cyl, and 6 cyl. Does that add any value for it's rarity:) And to think I was driving around with all these things in there origional 100k + mile form a few months ago!!! Talk about slow. I had my friend time a 0 to 80 on a flat freeway entrance back when I had 302. It took 22 seconds at WOT to get there!! We timed the same thing the other day with my new engine, and it took mid 12's second's to do that. I would say that is probably mid 15's in the 1/4. It maybe slow to you guys running 13's, but this is SO fast compared to what I was used to. With traction, gears, converter, better cam, and tuning, I belive my car will see HIGH 13's someday. Anybody elses car a slug???

·
Registered
188 Posts
the 200 engine i have in my car now was a freakin turtle compared to what it is now!!! Its waaaay faster than what it was before, Im very satisfied with it now.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After 1970, the smog nazi's (Ralph Nader-leader) convinced the government to immediately impose emissions standards that were unrealistic. It took 20 years for technology to catch up. The mid-late 70's and early 80's were dark years not only for performance, but styling in general as auto makers struggled to make a more fuel efficient car.

What if your 1972 California emissions 302-2V Mustang had been a 250 straight six with 1V carb? Now visualize yourself trying to get on the freeway with the A/C turned on.

·
Premium Member
5,174 Posts
I used to get beat by my friends 1968 camaro with a 6 banger in it. It was down right embarasing. That was before I added the 4V and dual exhaust. He sold the car since and there was never a rematch. :-(

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I run mid 15s in the 1/4 with my "six banger." I like running V8s - While they are spinning their tires trying to get traction, I'm already half way down the street.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts