Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or a 302... Is this EXTREMELY COSTLY? or what? I mean, I've heard everywhere from "you just need the engine" to "you need new suspension, brakes, transmission, etc etc etc etc." Have any of you ever done a 6 to 8 conversion? PLEASE help me here... My 6 is starting to go, meihinks...

·
Registered
65 Mustang Convertible
1,754 Posts
If you swap out to a V8, you do need to upgrade your suspension and brakes. If you don't, you are asking for a lot of headaches and injury.
The 6 cyl. brakes will not stop a V8 forever. Too much "go" and not enough "whoa".
Besides, the rear gears won't hold up. The good news is that you're tranny from a 68 should be okay behind a 289. you'll need a different bell housing.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!!!
66 200 3-spd Coupe - emberglo, daily driver
65 289 4-spd Conv - Rangoon Red (what else)
66 Shelby - Red and Ready to be Restored

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Ya, expect alot of work.....It would be better to go find a v8 car to restore.

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 fastback 351W

G

·
0 Posts
Lots of people have done this conversion, it's very common.

What you need: a V8 (obviously), V8 front suspension parts (steering linkage, spindles, brake parts, etc), motor mounts, rear brake setup. Also may need accel pedal linkage, radiator upgrade, transmission upgrade depending on what kind of power you're looking to push.

The best way to do this is get a complete v8 parts car, as there's a whole bunch of little stuff like brackets that will drive you crazy trying to track down. If you're not attached to your car, the best thing to do is sell it and start with a V8.

There have been a few people who have left some of the 6 cylinder stuff in place, like the smaller brakes, but I wouldn't recommend this.

Visit my repair page for Repair info, with pictures! http://home.dencity.com/mustangcub

G

·
0 Posts
If your only or main reason to swap to a V8 is because your 6 is starting to go, you can repair anything above the block with the engine in the car, and you can pull the engine by yourself in less than an hour. 200's can be had, complete in nice running shape for less than $300.

Visit my repair page for Repair info, with pictures! http://home.dencity.com/mustangcub

G

·
0 Posts
Finally wanting to ditch the six ehh? Oh well. We tried didn't we... Some just aren't cut out for the Falcon motor /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Your spindles are the same as the V8's. So's your suspenion and steering. You might want to go with stiffer coil springs but that's about all you need to do to the suspension. The C4 will be fine as long as you don't go crazy with the V8. The rearend will need to be replaced if it's worn out. It would probably be fine with a stock 289 though.

John

[color:blue]'68 Coupe
250/C4, 221 Argentine Head
Breakaway Converter, 9", 3.50's/T-lock</font color=blue>

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
The most cost-effective way to do it is to buy an entire V8 car that is rusted out, but mechanically sound. Otherwise, it'll cost you a mininum of a couple thousand (or more!) by the time you buy all the stuff that's different.

Glenn Morgan: 66 GT V-Burgundy Fastback 351w+toploader+9 in. TracLoc. Started out as a rusted-out Chicago-area crusher. After sacrificing a solid 66 coupe for its sheetmetal sub-assemblies, I have one solid (and expensive) work in progress!

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL! I know, I feel like I am ditching you inliners but I just can't take it any more. "Phony Pony" and "Wannabe Mustang" and "You got some squirrels in there FALCON BOY?" are just getting to me, lol.

I do want the added power of a V-8. I do a lot of freeway driving, and the 70 mile per hour maximum on the six cylinder is just, well, not fast enough.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the thing is... I am attached to my CAR. The actual car. Not the motor... I want a new motor. But I love the interior to death! My girlfriend and I have restored the interior completely and I don't want to throw that away.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heh, the 6 starting to go is the CAUSE of my want for a new motor, and the V-8 sound and power is the reason I want a V-8...

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Well, the best thing to do is go out and buy a donor car. An old POS that you can take everything your going to need. Then throw away what's left.

Rob
66 fastback 351W

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm, OK... I'm sure that I can find one somewhere around here. Northern California is big into restorationa nd modification of cars..

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Won't I also need 5-lugs?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey.

I have a 6 too and when I first got it I thought.... Get a V8, not a real one without it!!!! Boy was I wrong. Mustanging is a feeling, not an engine. Sure I would love a V8 one day, but why not confer with Inliner, he brought me around to the cause with some great performance improvement idea's. It also means your little six will stand out at that show full of V8's. It's up to you at the end of the day but why go to all the trouble when it is quite easy in the states to get a cheap V8 complete car. We do not have that luxury in Europe!!! :)

As I said up to you, but if you wanna stand out why look like everyone else's??? IMHO.

Melanie

[color:red]67 Coupe. 200CID.</font color=red> http://sally67.stangnet.com
Brit Chick! Keeping the men on their toes! "GET INLINE" http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1614555&a=12323482&p=45119620.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Hehe, you and Melanie have the opposite problem I do. I'm addicted to the falcon motor. I'd drop this dadgum '68 Mustang in a heartbeat for something else. Anyone selling a '64/65 Ranchero??? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif 70mph is all you can do? I had mine up to 100+ a few months back and I only backed off cause the front end was scaring the hell out of me... That was with my weak @ss 200 as well.

You will have to go to 5 lugs if you want V8 brakes (HIGHLY SUGGESTED). Your spindles are the same as V8 drum brakes spindles though. You just need a V8 hub/drum. Then you have 5 on the front and 4 lug in the back. Find a V8 '67-'70 car and pull the rearend. OR, find a '75-'80 Ford Granada/Mercury Monarch and pull the rearend from it to get your 5 lugs.

John

[color:blue]'68 Coupe
250/C4, 221 Argentine Head
Breakaway Converter, 9", 3.50's/T-lock</font color=blue>

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yah, my 200 maxes out right around 80... It sounds like it's going to explode actually.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
That would be part that you take off the donor car. The front and rear suspension.

Rob
66 fastback 351W

·
Registered
528 Posts
goto http://www.californiamustangs.com/ and look at the 1500.00 driver that is ugly and dented. engine prob needs a rebuild, but you should be able to get rest of parts off of it also. Or visit clifford performance for stepping up the 6cyl

66 Candyapple Red Fastback 200 I6
Needs interior, paint and maybe some Clifford Performance goodies

1 - 19 of 19 Posts