Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, i have a question hopefully some of you can answer. could someone please tell me what kind (year/make) of master cylinder i would need for a 4 wheel power disc brake setup. i have front discs from a 78 granada and rear brakes from a 78 versailles. i was thinking about using the master cylinder and proportioning valve from the 78 versailles, but when i went to the parts store it said the proportioning valve was for abs??? i was looking at master power brakes' website and saw that they have those parts, master cylinder is $120 and the valve is $110, which is more than what i want to pay. i would appreciate it if any of you could at least steer me in the right direction, i thank for your help in advance,

shawn

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Don't be bashful, let us know something about you in your bio page.

I should think the '67 dual chamber master cylinder would work. If you car didn't have factory disks, then an aftermarket proportioning valve might be necessary to get the correct bias between the front and rear braking pressures.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not technically new here, I had a previous name, but no longer exists, which was mystanger67. anyway, i was going to try the dual chamber one i purchases already with a disc/disc valve, but i have read that the pedal will be spongy do to a shorter stroke or something. i wasn't wanting to pay another $120 for another master cylinder if i could find one cheaper, that's why i was wanting to see if someone had 4 wheel disc brakes and what they used, thanks for your post

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
I am running a dual M/C out of a '71 Pinto on my car right now and have no complaints. It is the same size/capacity as the one sold by SSBC with their 4-wheel disc kits.

Whatever you end up with, make sure you get the right residual valves in it or you will be unhappy with the results.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is your 71 pinto master cylinder setup for 4 wheel discs or did you modify it to work. the one i have now is front disc and rear drums and according to the website www.mpbrakes.com it has a residual valve that will cause the rear calipers to hang onto the rotors after the brakes are released.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so if i was to take the residual valve out of my master cylinder, it would be alright

1 - 8 of 8 Posts