Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I finally figured out why I spend so much time on VMF: I get an incredible high when my advice works out for someone.

Just two days ago, I helped MSG diagnose his fuel pump problem after replacing his water pump: wrong bolt installed interfering with the eccentric.

A couple of months ago, I helped TFOB start up his 429 engine when he couldn't get it going: he had wired the dizzy the wrong direction.

Those were two biggies; other things, like helping folks diagnose electrical stuff happens all the time: both here, via PM, and in the chatroom. I suspect not everyone accepts my input; hell, I'm even wrong a few times (not that I'll admit that!). But, the rush one gets from diagnosing problems correctly long distance without sight or sounds is a true rush for the ego.

Others do this all the time, particularly Camachinist. Is it satisfying to you all as well?

I guess that's why I continue to post here, mainly to help folks out and gather in those few chestnuts of wisdom from others. It's never to late to learn and to teach!

G

·
0 Posts
I can second your feelings here about supporting others. As a "relative" newbie here, I recall simply lurking about for a few weeks initially just to get a feel for the forum and learning quite a bit in the interim.

However, that very first time when you help someone or your advice turns out to be appreciated is quite infectious. Glad to see others feel the same and, as the movie said...."Pay It Forward".....

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Aw shucks, you fellers make me want to cry......

All kidding aside, being one of those people who has received more than I've given back, I'd like you to know...it IS appreciated.

Lou

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
This's what I tell folks when they thank me for helping; "Not a problem, it feeds my ego."

Most folk think I'm being silly, but it's the honest truth of the matter.

Regardless of the reasons people help around here, this is the absolute best place to get your questions answered. The topic does not seem to matter much either; Mustang or other subject matter, they all get answered.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Midlife,
As someone who has been on this site a LONG time.[ OK, not much lately, life’s been REAL busy!]I have to say while you never helped me out of a jam with the car. I have had a lot of good laughs, that have brightened up the day. Thanks for the help./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
I really do enjoy lurking and reading your posts and other stuff. Always great advice from you and the other guys (and gals for Laurie and other SWMBO's who do frequent the forum) here on the forum. Keep up the good works. You are a great American!

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Agree, I really enjoy being able to answer something for someone who's following the roads I traveled. I have learned much myself from just reading posts here. VMF is a wonderful place.

G

·
0 Posts
I hang around here because there are so many guys like you that have so much knowledge to share. I read quite a lot of the posts here, and absorb at least some of them /forums/images/icons/wink.gif. Often, I will find myself knowing how to do something (and doing it) because I read it previously just by coincidence, not realizing it would be valuable knowledge someday.

So, even though I haven't necessarily been the one to ask the question, I have been helped immeasurably by you, Kent, Johnpro, CAMachinist, and many others.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
just think of all the new knowlege you will absorb restoring Midlife
you will be so high you may need AA (MM?)

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
it sure is great having someone to turn to, no matter how severe or minor the problem is.although i have along ways to go on 1 of my cars, i would not be close to where i am without you people. several in posts above me. i cant thank you enough ! oh man, i need a tissue. later

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I post here ONLY to annoy you, Midlife!/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Seriously, I have a duty to keep people from making some of the STUPID mistakes I did!!! Plus, somebody's got to keep all the picture people in line!!!

I offer the following in the spirit of humor - no personal offense intended toward ANYONE...........
http://a2.cpimg.com/image/56/A7/10448982-a2e5-018601C2-.jpg

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
HEY, HEY HEY that looks like me?

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
SoMidlife, you are saying, the more we screw up, so we can help fix it, the more you like it? There's a word for that: Dad (or mom)!

J. Boggs

·
Registered
832 Posts
Wow, and I always thought you were in this forum for the chicks.
jimbo

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
As one who has been helped by the almighty I am here to Thanky in public for helping with the FBD. It has earned you a drive in the drivers seat at CF2

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,221 Posts
I spend time here because I have no life to speak of. I'm incredibly dumb, somewhat shallow and and often get into my Mustang on the passenger's side, facing the back instead of the front, and thinking I'm ready to drive down the road.. I sometimes tie my own shoelaces together and then trip and fall down and never can figure out what happened. I used to eat food straight from the can but my wife made me stop because she got tired of having to rush and open the bottoms so that I could breathe. I like it here because you all make me feel at home.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
This isn't a singles group? It's a Mustang group? Oh man, no wonder I can't find a date! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

In all seriousness, thanks to everyone, and welcome to everyone. Just for the knowledge shared, lost, found and freely given. Not to mention, I love you guys!
(Gimme the Bud light dangnabit!)
D

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I confess....am not sure why I'm here.....oh yeah, sanity relief! Yes, thats it!

Aw heck, you got mad at me when I warned you about blowing up the garage with your can of gas, hehe. Then you told me I was all wrong on the sprayer (O/T) wiring and I spent an extra three hours on it as a result. LOL. Last but not least, you accuse me of spreading BS all over the forum....baaaaa sheepy baaaaah.

You just let ME help you out....I think there is an award out there for guys like you./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Boy, and I thought this was going to be more personal; like a wedding invitation or tribal ritual or something. LOL

1 - 20 of 31 Posts