Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am restoring my 68 Fastback and I have a nice engine (solid roller, 8.2 deck, ~500hp) I was planning on putting in it with a Gforce G5R transmission.

I have been kicking around the idea of putting in the flat plane engine. It would be really cool, but also a lot more work and require cutting up the car.

What do you guys think?

Which engine would be better? I like the redline and sound of the flat plane, but also the traditionalism of a windsor engine.

Whats the best way to swap the engine in there? I saw TCP has a nice setup that you weld in with new frame rails. Any other good options?

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
You should put the push rod in your 68 and send Voodoo to me for my 65. The only cutting would have to do is to the hood to make room....ha ha.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Love the idea, but it will be ton of work fitting the Voodoo into the 68. I too am considering a 5.3 flat plane crank modular or going with a supercharged Coyote. One also needs to consider strengthening the chassis and more than likely the stock headers will not work. Going with a T56? I went with the Heidts Pro G 2nd generation suspension. Every suspension and K member kit places the engine in a different location within the engine bay. Some kits will require the modification of your tunnel depending on what transmission you go with. I added torque boxes, gussets, and SpinTechsubframe connectors. Out back I have the Heidts IRS.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Having the engine, transmission, harness, and electronics is just the start. As said, the other necessary mods are numerous and expensive. As cool as it is to put a Coyote into a vintage Mustang, the windsor would be so much cheaper and easier.

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
A Voodoo engine in a '68 Mustang sounds badass, but good golly, it would be rolling nitroglycerin. If you did it as right as you could with a subframe, multipoint rear differential and massive brakes, it would still be a fiery crash waiting to happen. Shoot, that engine is just barely manageable in a GT-350.

However, it is your car and you are free to do with it as you like. But I don't think Randy Pobst would feel confident driving such a car.

·
Registered
65 Fastback 289 4 spd, 65 convertible 5.0L 5 spd. 3.73 8.8
264 Posts
Hey guys, I am restoring my 68 Fastback and I have a nice engine (solid roller, 8.2 deck, ~500hp) I was planning on putting in it with a Gforce G5R transmission.

I have been kicking around the idea of putting in the flat plane engine. It would be really cool, but also a lot more work and require cutting up the car.

What do you guys think?

Which engine would be better? I like the redline and sound of the flat plane, but also the traditionalism of a windsor engine.

Whats the best way to swap the engine in there? I saw TCP has a nice setup that you weld in with new frame rails. Any other good options?
As cool as it sounds, Y? That is an aweful lot of work when you could just put a good strong Windsor in it and not destroy the classic car. I would love to have a GT350 with a Vodoo. My son has a GT with a Coyote and it is fun, however the classics are just cool old muscle cars even if new stuff can blow the doors off of them. There is just something about an old car with a 4Bbl. and a cam that sounds cool that the new cars don't have.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
There is just something about an old car with a 4Bbl. and a cam that sounds cool that the new cars don't have.
You can get a "ghost" tune that manipulates the variable cam timing to mimic old school lumpy idle. They really sound good but I suspect you are loosing some of the economy benefits of the Coyote.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,140 Posts
You can get a "ghost" tune that manipulates the variable cam timing to mimic old school lumpy idle. They really sound good but I suspect you are loosing some of the economy benefits of the Coyote.
My brother had the ghost cam in his and it sounded effing AWESOME, with cat deletes and axle back exhaust. IIRC the cam timing is shifted back the moment you touch the accelerator, so no economy lost to speak of.

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,140 Posts

What do you guys think?

If you have the cash, the time, and the place to do it I say hell yeah. Cut it till it falls in, weld it so it stays.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts