Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 Mach and it has the non-functioning scoop. I guess it adds too much weight for the springs (new) to keep the hood up all the way. As I am working alot on my master cylinder...i find a halfway closed hood pretty annoying.

My question is....Is there a trick to keeping the hood up (aside from a stick) or possibly a clamp to clamp two or three rotations of the spring together to make it tighter?

Anyone out there conquered this problem?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
You could get some stiffer springs.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I'm not familiar with '69 hood hinges, but if they're the same scissors type as 65/66, then I may have a solution for your. I saw this on a pal's Shelby, which had no hood hinge springs due to a fiberglass hood.

He had removed the springs, and attached a small length of chain to one side of the hood hinge. When the hood was up, he could loop one link in the chain to the opposing side of the hood hinge's hook (where the spring used to hook). The short chain effectively kept the hood open.

WARNING: This is all based on what I saw on a lightweight 65/66 fiberglass hood. I don't know how it will do on a heavier '69 hood.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Your springs should keep the hood up even with a scoop. We added a scoop to my sons 69 coupe and the hinges work great. Be sure you have the correct springs and hinges. If you need I can send a pic of my 70 Mach or my sons 69 coupe to compare with. I have a spare set of orginals if you want them for postage. They do need a good cleaning.
Rick Allen/Oceanside, CA

1 - 5 of 5 Posts