Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have a 1966 mustang it has a 1987 gt 5.0 motor in it and currently have shorty headers on it right now i was wondering the best way to make it really loud and sound good. If u guys could help me with some exhaust systems and brands that would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Flowmaster 40 series. If that is not loud enough, glass packs.

Then come visit us again when you want to know how to get rid of the drone at highway speeds!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will that be loud i kinda want it really loud?

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
Ah, the ambitions of youth. I remember when I thought "loud" was "good". :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you dont like your neighbors and know the local sheriff well enough you might get away with no exhaust at all =) And as an alternative you could install cut outs instead of whacking off your pipes ;)

I'm running Flowmaster 40 right now, probably not exactly what you're looking for. The Flowmaster Super 40 might fit the bill better or some cheapo glass packs should do nicely too... Had a 390 GT with 2,5" system and glass packs... I do have to admit short distances it was quite fun to listen to the roar. It got annoying pretty quick though.... I mean what you're after is catching the gal's attention as long as she's not in the car. Once you've got her you need to be able to have a normal conversation :) I'd say cut outs might fit your bill.

J

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
You could get DCE variable mufflers. Once available on certain GM cars from the factory, they are now being reproduced in several sizes. By pushing a button on the dash, they can go from calm and quiet to loud and obnoxious.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Run straight pipes up through the hood!

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
Ah, the ambitions of youth. I remember when I thought "loud" was "good". :)
Forget youth. . .now that I'm old and losing my hearing, loud it good. :p
Stan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys im going to put glass packs with the headers thanks for all the ideas.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,639 Posts
I put dual exhaust with Flowmasters on my wife's '86. She astounded me by saying it wasn't loud enough. So I trimmed off the tailpipes and welded on some 10 inch long 3 inch diameter tips. Then she was satisfied. The big open tips act like megaphones and amplify the noise. With a 5.0 you don't need "fart can" mufflers just the open tips will do.

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
It depends a lot on how you drive the car. If all you do with it is Cruise Night at Dairy Queen, loud is an indulgence. Try driving that same car on a 10-hour cross-country trip, and when your ears are still ringing an hour after you arrive, it's less fun. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
... how do you know?

(sorry... couldn't resist)

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
will that be loud i kinda want it really loud?
DynoMax Race bullets.....had them on our race car and it was too loud for me!! They are a straight through design with MINIMAL noise cancellation. long tube headers and turn downs (dumps) will add to the sound also. Jegs is your best bet for the bullets.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey on the dunomax race bullets is it better to get the muffler shorter or longer ? and whats better 3in or 2.5in ?

Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts