Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my car from the 2nd owner and the vin is 5R07A200822.

Does this mean that the car is the 100,822 car off the line?

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I just purchased my car from the 2nd owner and the vin is 5R07A200822.

Does this mean that the car is the 100,822 car off the line?
San Jose began producing Mustangs in July, 1964 (64.5). They began with 100001. At the start of '65 production in August, 1964 the VIN jumped to 125001.

Your VIN shows that your car was scheduled to be built around March 22, 1965, give or take a few days.

Frank

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
...so your car would be 200822 - 125001 = 75821

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Absolutely not :)

You also have to consider that the consecutive number is the "consecutive order number'. This means as an order goes into Ford's ordering system a VIN is created for it. Some orders get cancelled, some cars on the line get totaled. It also means the cars are not built in consecutive order number sequence. They do get shuffled to allow for efficiency, such as 5 red cars in a row to reduce paint line clean ups, for part shortages, etc

Bottom line is that you do not know what sequence your car came off the line.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
If I may jump in here while we;re on this subject. I have a 64 1/2 conv. build date July 21from the San Jose plant and the numbers are 101302. Am I right to assume that means the car is #1302 in production.I also understand that they produced 64 1/2 cars only 18 days in July and then went into 65 production.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Absolutely not

You also have to consider that the consecutive number is the "consecutive order number'. This means as an order goes into Ford's ordering system a VIN is created for it. Some orders get cancelled, some cars on the line get totaled. It also means the cars are not built in consecutive order number sequence. They do get shuffled to allow for efficiency, such as 5 red cars in a row to reduce paint line clean ups, for part shortages, etc

Bottom line is that you do not know what sequence your car came off the line.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, gentlemen. I appreciate more info. Bottom line is that I know I have a car scheduled to be built in March of 1965, is a coupe, pony, 289, 4-barrel, 4-speed and I am the 4th owner. The car is now in the shop and restoration is underway. I plan on having it on the street by September 2011. The shop was very excited about the body condition and the stainless steel moldings still in place. Here we go!

This link will take you to my fb photo page once you tag me as a friend.

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

1 - 7 of 7 Posts