Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my mustang wont stay runnin, i had to turn the idel up to 1500 to keep it running, and when it goes into rev or drive it dies except when i am above 3000 rpm. no safe to drive with it juming around the place in my neigborhood. is it timing. and yes i do have to be at work in 2 hours.
?????????????????????????

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
302? 4V? 2V? EFI? What kind of carb? What kind of trans? We don't know much about the car to be able to help diagnose the problem. Can you get a ride to work?

·
Registered
603 Posts
How many miles on the motor? My last mustang jumped time once due to worn out camshaft timing gear. It was sudden, however the engine ran like crap even at the higher RPMs. Only at the higher RPMs was I able to hobble the car home.

Is your car missing really bad even at the higher RPMs or is it smooth?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmmmm..... its been getting kind of boggy lately maybe thats it. But at high RPM it sounds like it always has, really strong and smooth. i also have vaccum advance( dont know if that makes a difference) and the lines are 10 years old at least.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Probably vacum leak, possibly diaphram on distributor going bad--somewhere to start. I would call a buddy for a ride tonight if it were me.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ya well just got back from work. i did choke it and well no change. i am replacing the vac lines sunday for sure if not saturday. i am tired.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts