Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check it out!
http://images.traderonline.com/EMedia/tarchive2/245/246096/00216138602.jpg

I'm sorry, I know that was cruel. But I didn't exactly lie, did I? It IS a 66 convertible, and I did only pay $300 for it. So why did I buy a Spitfire? Because I've always had a bug up my butt to modify a little bitty british car with some serious snort under the hood, and the Spitfire's perfect for such a thing. Clamshell hood, Easily modified frame, dime-a-dozen. I'm thinking lightweight 302 with aluminum heads hooked to a 4 speed feeding either a Corvette or 240Z IRS. Mustang 2 front suspension & steering. Custom dash and interior. Flared fenders capping beefy tires. Can't be done you say? Spitfires are just for sissies you say? Well check this beast out!

Project "Warm Spit" begins!

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
I'm looking forward to a ride when you're done, Dano!

Definitely needs a new paint color, though... a bright green (not neon green, though) would look nice.

Steve

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll put you first on the list for a ride as soon as I finish it. I'll try not to schedule that ride during your son's college graduation!

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Thanks, Dan. That weekend in 2021 is going to be awfully busy for me.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Yeeeoww. That is going to be fun. Build a stroked 351W for her. I grew up with one of my friends dads driving one of those. I always thought they were cool looking, the only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that the rearend sat so low.

Well congrats. Looks like you'll be busy for a while.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Well...there goes the $300 and THEN SOME!!! The car looks decent from here, the top too.

Why not buy a Sunbeam Tiger with the 289 already in there? Guess I'm getting old. Been there done that with highly modified VW's for off road racing and blowing off 4X4's. I like things close to stock these days. Did have a FIAT 850 Spyder once. Car handled like a slot car...when it was working. In German F I A T stands for "mistake in every part"!

·
Registered
613 Posts
be prepared to have some trouble with the rear end!
the original pumpkin is much to light to handle any horsepower and since it is bolted to the frame with live axles running over the frame rails it will be tough to put another rear end in without a complete rework of the rear frame.
but of course this leaves you open to install some big meats out back.

I used to have one years ago and they are damn fun to drive since they sit so low they corner great. just need to drop into 3rd when taking a 90 degree corner.

If I remember correctly the original engine is a 96CI monster but since the Bonnet (hood in english) tips forward it is easy to work on the engine and will be fairly easy to mount another engine in the bay. just need to consider what that V-8 will do to the front suspension!

I always liked the center mounted gas tank also as you could fill it from either side of the car.

this might not be a popular idea with this forum since the V-8 reigns supriem but you might want to consider an inline 4 cylinder replacement for the original motor. something with a dual overhead cam 4 valves per cylinder hemi head configuration. it would be a lot easier to install since the block is aluminum it would be light weight enough that no front suspension changes would be needed just find a wrecked toyota or honda and you could keeep the original rear end in place until you tear it up them put in another.

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
Mornin Dan; I'll second Prairebronze's idea , an SVO-2.3- 5 speed tweeked to about 280-300 HP . Talk about a pocket rocket . A 280Z rear would handle the 2.3 .

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
You're a bad bad man! That will be a heck of a project. Should be fun, and probably end up being a lot cheaper than restoring a 66 stang vert in the end.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Normally I would think the rear tires of a light weight car with a 460 in it would melt down. But when you see where the exhaust pipes are on that car I think the owner would be replacing both the front and rear tires after just about every drive. :)

John

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The car is actually in decent shape. Rust isn't too bad, all body panels and top good, the engine even runs decent (it'll be a shame to rip that sucker out!). I agree that something like a Tiger is probably the better way to go for V8 power on a skateboard, but for me the real purpose of this is to have a cool, multi-year project going in my garage, more so than the finished product (I know, my wife doesn't understand me either). Plus, I have no qualms about hacking up a dime-a-dozen $300 spitfire, whereas those Tigers are hard to come by.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm figuring the original rear end and front suspension/steering wil be tossed in favor of a beefier IRS and some sort of R&P coil-over front end. Haven't figured this out yet.

I agree that a high-output 4-banger would probably be the logical way to go, but this project is not based on logic, it's all about the "wow" factor when people hear me rumbling by then see that big V8 under the bonnet.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Keith, maybe when you come by today we can go for a ride in it. SWMBO can push us back and forth in the driveway while we make cool sounding engine noises. BRBLBRBLBRBLVROOOOMVROOOOM

G

·
0 Posts
Speed dial away brother! Did a 428CJ in an MGB years ago too, WAYYYYYYYYYY to scary for me to drive! Looked like a Pro Mod with all that sticking out!

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
got a tow strap? We could hook that up to one of the pick'em up trucks and take turns dragging each other around the pasture /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I'll give you a call before I head up your way (probably 4:00? or later)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts