Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SHO had a crack radiator, a VERY cracked radiator that needed refilling once a week. The Ford dealer nearby gave me a price of almost $300 for the radiator and 2 hours to do the install at a rate of almost $80 an hour. I have a friend that works at another dealership that got me the radiator for $120 and I did all the labor myself, surprisingly in less time than the dealer would have taken. Probobly not very impressive to most but it made me happy so I'm sharing my victory with you all.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Hey, you did it yourself and save quite a few bucks to boot, that's impressive enough. We all started somewhere. Today the rad, tomorrow ??????

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Good for you! This should give you more confidence for other projects that will come up.

You actually saved more than you think. They would have dinged you for antifreeze at an exhorbitant price, then you would have had to pay a disposal fee for the old antifreeze, plus the fee for their greasy rags (whether they used any, or not), plus list price for a thermostat, taxes, ad infinitum.

I'd rather skin my knuckles for a week than have to read down the invoice that they would conjure up. Some of these guys would make great science fiction writers. ::

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Good for You!! ::
$80 an hour is robberey. Even if the mechanic got $40HR and the dealer got $40HR they don't deserve it.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Way to go. I would believe that everyone on the forum started much in the same way. I had an old corvair with a flat head six in it and 2-1brl carbs. I literally had to learn all about old cars from that, or walk the long way to school! man, that thing would run like a scalded dog when I finally "figured" out how to do points, valves, etc. Hang in there and get a good service manual for all of your "projects" and you can do just about anything short of machine work! ::

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Good for You!! ::
$80 an hour is robberey. Even if the mechanic got $40HR and the dealer got $40HR they don't deserve it.
Sadly the mechanic would be lucky to get $18 a hour ...... more like $15 .
Dealers slam you and attempt to put it off as the mechanics , when reality is they are raping people and screwing the mechanics . You get the misc charges (extra hour wise) because the mechanics are working flate rate and thus they must fudge the bill a little with thier labor so they can buy thier wife and kids food .
Believe me , I was making $16.50 a hour (not flat rate) and paying $75 a week for insurance for me and my family while the dealership charged $74 a hour . They also marked the parts up near 100% over thier costs ........
If your lucky enough to find a good mechanic on the side , treat him good . Shame is most ignorant people will have something unrelated to the repairs break shortly after a mechanic does the side work and then call his main place of employment and want them to fix the car for free . All that does is get him fired for doing the side work and the owner of the car still gets to pay for the repair .

G

·
0 Posts
Way to go! Half the fun and a lot of pride comes from doing it yourself! Not to mention the money saved. By the way, can i get a lone for about $300?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts