Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My plan for a 45-60 day freshen up the engine compartment and drop in a 250 has turned into a full blown tear down of everything in front of the firewall with no completion date in sight.

I planned on leaving the crappy battery apron repair in place but I kept picking at it until I ripped the whole thing out. I planned on leaving the cowl repair for the next guy and using covers over the grills. I didnt plan on pulling the fenders and splash shields off. I didnt plan on pulling the bumper and grill off. I wasnt going to touch the core support.

Now the whole car is apart and Im having the metal work done on the cowl and battery apron. Since the entire front end is off, Ive been asking myself if I want to send it to paint before reassembly. Im getting it painted anyway, may as well be now.

Today I removed all the paint off the front of the core support and found that about 60% of it had surface rust under what looked like good paint. The area around the battery vents is pretty weak and will need some patching. The hood latch support is bent, twisted and rusted to the point that it and the stone guard brackets are more work than I want to do, so thats another $75 in parts. Last month I spent about $2000 in parts, so far this month another $2500 on parts. $2000 of that to Wunderwerks for his 64.5 drivetrain.

Now instead of the 250 Im thinking about dropping in the 4V 289, C4, driveshaft and rear end. 65 and 67 both have a 108 wheelbase so it should be a PNP. I would swap the valve bodies on the C4s to keep my D-2-1 shift pattern.

I like the idea of a 2" narrower 65 rear end in my 67, I can run a 15x7 TTD and have plenty of room for tires without hitting the fenders on the 3.75 BS. A 15x6 on the front with a 3.66 BS will give me a .11 wider front track, but the wider rear tire will even that out.

I will have to rent a F150 from Enterprise and drive the 1000 miles to KC to pick up the drivetrain, but I have friends in STL I want to visit anyway, so that works out.

Im doubtful I will have the 67 on the road this year. I still have about 2 weeks work I want to do on the 65, but the weather is nice and Ive been driving it.

At some point I need to reach the bottom of the hole.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
You hit bottom when you decided to tear it apart. It’s all uphill from here. You don’t want to do it twice or have any regrets- make it what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Dimples
4,848 Posts
Been there man. On the plus side, once you’re on the other side of paint, assembly is fun.

·
Premium Member
4,357 Posts
I've had my car a long time, so I know what it needs and I'm accumulating parts, searching for just the right person to help me with light body work and paint after my teardown. It's just hard for me to envision it all apart, pieces bagged and boxed and labeled, stripping it of the paint that has protected it for so long and building it back up even though I know it will be better.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
As long as it doesn't turn into this you'll be ok:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can see it on a high value car. This is a plain Jane T-code that will always be looked at like a Leper.
I want. Its nice when the light is always green, but Ive always been way more piratical on this kind of stuff. Most days I work 2-4 hours in the garage, an hour or so on the house and a good nap somewhere in there. its not a bad life.

Reactions: geicoman58

·
Registered
853 Posts
I can see it on a high value car. This is a plain Jane T-code that will always be looked at like a Leper.
I want. Its nice when the light is always green, but Ive always been way more piratical on this kind of stuff. Most days I work 2-4 hours in the garage, an hour or so on the house and a good nap somewhere in there. its not a bad life.
The classic mustang family as a whole will never look at any type of a mustang as a leper. It's normally the jokers out there who don't own one and their only claim to fame is bashing other people's vehicles. I find when some one has a negative comment on one of my classic mustangs when I'm out and about, I just ask to see their classic and it tends to shut them up.

Keep in mind, this is your car, while I understand some people don't like to hear negative comments from other people about their car, no one should tell you what you should or should not do with your car. Make it your own and be proud of the work you've done. (y)(y)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cant tell you how many people at shows that I see bend down and look at the VIN stamped on the fender.

·
Super Moderator
10,057 Posts
And the worse part,.....it’ll only be worth a fraction of the money put into it.

·
Dimples
4,848 Posts
I cant tell you how many people at shows that I see bend down and look at the VIN stamped on the fender.
Who cares? I've often done the same thing, but not so I can say "oh, it's just a converted six cyl", but so I know more about that car's journey. I'd roll a v8 powered T code in a heart beat if it was the right car.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im way over the value part. If I had 5 cents back on every dollar Ive spent on booze, women, cars, trucks and motorcycles I would be living on the beach in Costa Rica with a 18 year old house maid, or maybe a couple of them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts