Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would not be asking if the value was a normal everyday car. This car is a Red over black factory R code GT fastback in #1 or dam close condition. It has a NOM block but it is supposedly correctly date coded with all of the correct CJ parts. (has invoices) The rotisserie restoration looks fabulous, but not being an expert I can not tell if everything is 100% concourse correct or not. It looks like it to me, but then again, I don't know all of the little details. The only thing non-factory on the car is the OEM Ford air-conditioning system that is brand new looking. Everything in the dash has been installed, but nothing under the hood. (no compressor/lines or condenser) It has the GT woodgrain interior, four speed, console, fold down, Chrome GT wheels, fog lights, twin tips, pop open GT gas cap, etc etc etc. Paint is like a mirror. He is asking $40K even for the car. It sounds like a good deal to me, what do you guys think?????? I might have to sell that Challenger and get this thing!

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
If it is a #1 car, I would say yes. One thing is for sure you won't lose if you hang on to it. I would be really careful looking it over though, if you have someone who knows these cars well I'd bring him along. For example the 68.5 4 spd has an ultra rare Holley carb (kind of like the C8ZX on my 68) Last week one sold on Ebay for $2225.00. Let me know if I can help.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like to make sure I have $$$ in hand before I bother someone with looking at their car with a microscope, which is what I would do if I spent that kind of $$. I'm probably not going to look it over for a week or two. It is not currently being marketed. I am doing a lot of research in the mean time on the 68.5 R code's. This post included. I just see a convert for 80K, (I know, only 34 or something like that) but any 68.5 R code selling for what would esentially be the cost of restoration seems fair to me. Is it worth more?? $50???

·
Registered
776 Posts
If!!!!!!!
This car is legit, it is a no brainer. With "S" Code Fastbacks closing in on $30K, and plus depending on options.
This car is well worth $40K, a quick sale at $40K.
Flipping it for a big profit is a pony of a different color.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've looked. There just have not been any changing hands that I can find. Besides, I VALUE the opinion of the collective whole of VMF.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Gimme the guy's phone number, I'll have his $40K by the end of the week. ::

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
its worth my left lugnut ::

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
You know, they built over a thousand 68 R-code fastbacks and yet I've only seen two on eBay in the last 6 months. I think that the survival rate was very low. I mean, once the motor was blown up all you had left was a 68 GT fastback. Nobody knew how to read VINs for the engine code so a lot of them got scrapped.

There was one on ebay within the last two months. It got bid to $45K but was a no-sale. Really nice car - at least as nice as the one you are describing (maybe it WAS the one that you are describing).

I get several magazines that report auction results (Sports Car Market - I love it!) and there just are not enough sales of these cars to establish a value. It used to be that they were worth LESS than an R-code 69/70 Mach 1 because the Machs were flashier. I think that the scarcity of these cars has flipped that around and now the 68 CJ Mustangs are the most valuable non-Shelby Mustangs (with the exception of the Boss 429).

One word of caution - there were so few 428 CJ cars built in 68 that it is very difficult to find the correct date-coded drivetrain pieces (block, manifolds, carb, etc.) if the car does not already have them. When I restore mine I'm not even going to bother trying to get the correct date-coded drivetrain parts. It would probably add $5-10K to the restoration costs. I realize that the car would be worth more in the long run with all correct date codes but I'm just not the kind of person that wants to look all over the country for a date-correct $500 water pump when I can buy a better one from Weiand for $100.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I'm sure nobody will beleive this, but about 4 years ago I had the chance to buy a 68.5 R code. It had been sitting since 1981 outside, it was a big mess and needed everything. The guy was asking $5000, I told the guy "let me think about it over night". I called him the next day and the car was already gone. I snoozed and lost.

·
Registered
562 Posts

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No that's not it. It looks a lot like it though color combo wise. but the one here is much nicer. It also has a Deluxe interior with the woodgrain, consoles, and A/C on the firewall.

·
Registered
360 Posts
If it checks out correct, it's worth it. Find more info on the 428 cobra jet site if you haven't already. I've had three, two 4-speed, and one auto. I still have the one 4-speed to restore, Highland green with ivy interior. Still collecting some of the rare parts. Good luck, Jack.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts