Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my son and i were headed to the store when we pulled up next to a mercedes slk500. i commented to him that it was a nice car and his reply was, "but i bet ours is faster." we both had our top down, but i wasn't sure if this guy heard him or not. he must have, though, because when the light turns, i take off normally and he hammers it. at the next light, there wasn't a soul in sight, so i thought i would at least give him a challenge. i'm only a few miles beyond my 500 mile break in period and i've only nailed it a couple times, but without a reference point it's hard to tell how quickly the car is accelerating. when the light turns, i ease out the clutch but stand on the gas pedal after it engages. the cleveland revved up quickly but i shifted before i got to 5000 rpm. i shifted hard into second just to bark the tires at him and then immediately shut it down. i have no idea what he had under the hood, but he was half a length behind when i shut down. he moved into the turn lane and never looked at me.

now, i know many of you are adamantly against racing on the street and, under most circumstances, i agree so lectures aren't necessary. we were in a non-pedestrian area on a wide open 5-lane with no one between us and the next light. the speed limit is 45 mph on that stretch and i never exceeded the speed limit. except for the 2nd gear bark, i never even slipped the tires. it was an adrenaline rush, though, that i haven't had since i had my 1992 taurus sho. does anyone know how quick that particular benz is supposed to be?

·
Registered
193 Posts
nothing wrong with a little racing now and then. way to show em whos boss :: ::

·
Registered
110 Posts
0-60 mph 5.8 Seconds...1/4 mile: 14.3 (April Car & Driver).
a lil safe racin is good every now and then ::

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
...... i always run into people in their snazzy " high class luxury mobiles" who rev up or try to race me ... i usually will beat them, and if idont.. HEY , they still spent what anywhere from 50 to 70k or more for it... if i had that much to invest into my car... i think wed know who would come out on top every time.. thats how i see it :O)

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Agree. I just love the look on the Lexus' driver's face when he looks to the side and sees me in my Mountaineer pacing him note for note.

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Do they make a SLK 500? I know of the SL 500, in which case you're talking about an $80K car that can do 0-60 in mid 6 second range...

If you're talking about the SLK 230, well, that car is less than half that price and does 0-60 in not-so-fast. The SLK 320 is a little faster with that line culminating in an AMG package at around $50K+ which can get into the 5 second range...

I'm no MB expert though...

-bob

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it might have been an sl500, but i thought i saw slk (i only saw the BACK of the car once ::) it was bigger than the slk320. it definitely wasn't an amg. maybe i'll see it in town again and report back.

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
If it was bigger, then it was the SL500, their flagship line...

EXTREMELY nice car... but not a car one buys for record 0-60 times or light-to-light drags... falls in the 'average' range for its class as far as speed goes...

-bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts