Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 1980 Mustang Ghia last week which was originally a 2.8, I bought the car from Valley Performance in Belleville, NJ and they put a 351W in it with heads and other stuff. Now my question is this: I put new tires on the car (BFGoodrich 245/60/14 mounted on US Wheel Rims) and when I turn the car the tires hit the quarter panel lips (about an inch down the tire), but there are good KYB Gas A Just shocks on the rear. Does anyone know of a way to stop it? Do I have to raise the rear a little or is there other ways? Could it be the springs?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The way to fix it is to return the car to its original weight and tire size. :)

The real question is how to live with it. If it happens infequently enough and the tires don't show any visual damage from it you may just choose to ignore it. My fiero from the factory would rub doing a U-turn but it was only a minor rub to the tires, no big deal. If the tires are taking damage the question is from where. You either need to remove the rubbing part or cause the car not to get to the rub position. Look for a shiny spot for where things rub. Without any more info i would think tortion bar more then lifting may be the answer. Since it only happens on turns the reducing the body roll may be the ticket.

motor

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Try to get a set of stock springs and sway bars (front and rear) from a newer 5.0. That should help allot. I put the old springs off my 91 on my 80 and it made a world of difference.

Someone please buy my Ski Doo!
68 fastback, 390 4V premium fuel
80 5.0 hatch, just finished
91 5.0 coupe, daily driver
84 RamCharger 4x4 extreme mudsliger and winter junker

1 - 3 of 3 Posts