Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really, i swear i remember seeing a post about this, but i CANNOT find it.
The center part of my console plate, the part that is supposed to be painted argent, has some pitting in it, bown kind of in the reccesed part of the lines. It's not rerrible like the pindof stuff on.....oh, say, my back bumper, or maybe the radio face plate, but it's still pitted. How do i get rid of these? I'm not really worried about the holes, it more about the part that is sticking up that you can feel when you run your finger over it. If i can find somehting thin enough to fit down in the little runners(i think that sounds ok, runners), can i grind or file them down? I really dont want to have to go try to find a better plate, because they are about the same price as a repo console... ::

·
Registered
496 Posts
How about a light touch with a small half round file? Or maybe some crocus cloth wrapped around a dowel?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I posted a while back about a pitted console I purchased for my Galaxie. I sent into A&A Bumper Plating in Independence Mo and they re-chromed it. It turned out looking great....Cost for that big Galaxie plate and the shifter bezel was $185.00 but I was already in it so deep I paid the price...

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Outside of replating, there's not really a proper fix for pitting in this part. I have applied POR-15's "Glisten" - a very hard and glossy clearcoat - over console and fastback interior vents to good result. It somewhat fills the pits and leaves a nice gloss on the parts. Dickson

1 - 6 of 6 Posts