Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I would post for you our new seat we are releasing May 1st! This will be for the 94-98 Mustangs, but I know some of you guys have integrated the Sn95 seats into your Classic!

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Sweet! I have an SN95 and would like to do an upgrade one day. Got any in tan?

·
Registered
184 Posts
That is a really cool idea as then you get the locking seat back and are able to tilt the seat! You guys at TMI are great

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Nice, but too late for me. Last year I bought a set of TMI seat covers from CJ to reupholster some 2000 mustang seats for a retro fit into my 1966 Ranchero. I was in a rush to get seats in it, before the Woodward Dream Cruise.
Just an FYI. I am not trying to complain. I just think my perspective could help you folks. So please, do not consider this to be anything but constructive criticism.
They are nice, but I was in a rush. In hind sight, I would do things differently and perhaps be more satisfied with the outcome.
The first set I got, the boxes had been opened and both seats had tears in them. I am not blaming anyone, these things tend to happen to me. I called CJ's and they immediately resolved the problem with excellent customer service.
Here are some things I wish were better.
The photo's used on the web site made dark charcoal look closer to black in color. The specific seats were not available in black. I gambled, I thought they would look darker once installed in the car, (my fault).
The inside, side of the lower seats, that would be next to the console, were cloth and not vinyl. :thumbsdown:
The back of the seats were a carpet material, not vinyl.:thumbsdown:
The photo's on you website did not show this nor did the description of the product indicate this in any way. In fact they are almost misleading you to believe that the entire seat is vinyl.
The head rests supplied were the wrong style. I re-used the originals.:thumbsdown:
After also buying the new foam, the covers were way too tight, the inter locking tabs were still 1.5 to 2 inches too far apart from each other. After a lot of time and modification they are still an inch apart. No amount of pushing, pulling, tugging, or suggested tips would work. I had to modify them to work. The modifications are my fault. It was this option or return the product for something else. I felt I was way too far into this project to turn back, and start over. I also had a specific date I needed the project to be completed by. This again is my fault.
I like the style, and I like the high quality of the overall product. With exception of the fit, color, and specific material placed in the above stated areas.
I would consider TMI, a top choice in my future projects. I think they are a good company and offer many great products. I do not consider my displeasure with the outcome of this project a reflection on TMI. However in the future, I will not let dead lines and time frames cause me to settle for products that I am not 100% satisfied with. Here are some pic's of the project before and after.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
I got my Sport Seat R covers and foams delivered yesterday. They are awesome looking! I cannot wait to find the time to start on the seats. They actually look better in person that they do on the web.
And as the usual customer, I do have one complaint. The really nice embossed TMI logos on the side of the seats. While they do look good, this is going to distract from my overall theme of original appearance, while modified as if the factory did it. With another companies logo in the interior now, it throws things off.
I did see these in one online photo, and honestly I thought it was photoshopped into the image since it almost appeared as a watermark to keep others from stealing the image.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The photo's used on the web site made Dark Charcoal look closer to black in color. The specific seats were not available in black. I gambled, I thought they would look darker once installed in the car, (my fault).
You are correct. Dark Charcoal definitely isn't black. In the 99-04 GT's seats were not available in Black BUT you could have ordered black. Did someone tell you it would match black?

The inside, side of the lower seats, that would be next to the console, were cloth and not vinyl. :thumbsdown:
The side you are speaking of if i'm correct. Is it by the seatbelt? That's the factory look. It matches the seat belt uhh.. "clicker inner".

The back of the seats were a carpet material, not vinyl.:thumbsdown:
Do you have a picture you can show me of this? The back of the Rear seat or front?

The photo's on you website did not show this nor did the description of the product indicate this in any way. In fact they are almost misleading you to believe that the entire seat is vinyl.
On our website I believe it states, Trim, and Insert separately. The back though I don't understand being carpet. But the lower part from the factory was carpet. We try to achieve a factory look.

The head rests supplied were the wrong style. I re-used the originals.:thumbsdown:
I was brought on at TMI about a month and a half ago, and I've been finding issues that I'm getting fixed. Which headrests were sent and what do you have?

Many people dont realize that GT =/= 03/04 Cobra,Mach1, Bullit. But GT matches 01 Cobra. I'm in the process of going through and revamping everything.

I'm more of a late model guy so I try to know as much as I can about the late model cars.

After also buying the new foam, the covers were way too tight, the inter locking tabs were still 1.5 to 2 inches too far apart from each other. After a lot of time and modification they are still an inch apart. No amount of pushing, pulling, tugging, or suggested tips would work. I had to modify them to work. The modifications are my fault. It was this option or return the product for something else. I felt I was way too far into this project to turn back, and start over. I also had a specific date I needed the project to be completed by. This again is my fault.
They are made for a tight fit, BUT, I do believe we got a little too generous for a bit with the foam. We have since toned it done to assure a better fit. I apologize for your issue!

I would consider TMI, a top choice in my future projects. I think they are a good company and offer many great products. I do not consider my displeasure with the outcome of this project a reflection on TMI. However in the future, I will not let dead lines and time frames cause me to settle for products that I am not 100% satisfied with. Here are some pic's of the project before and after.
I don't blame you. Next time if you're doing a late model modification, give me a call directly I'm Jared., and/or Cindy here a call directly she's our vintage expert.

I hope I helped! Let me know if there's anything else you need

I got my Sport Seat R covers and foams delivered yesterday. They are awesome looking! I cannot wait to find the time to start on the seats. They actually look better in person that they do on the web.
And as the usual customer, I do have one complaint. The really nice embossed TMI logos on the side of the seats. While they do look good, this is going to distract from my overall theme of original appearance, while modified as if the factory did it. With another companies logo in the interior now, it throws things off.
I did see these in one online photo, and honestly I thought it was photoshopped into the image since it almost appeared as a watermark to keep others from stealing the image.
We do that so you know it's a genuine TMI product. There's a few people out there trying to copy our design.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
You are correct. Dark Charcoal definitely isn't black. In the 99-04 GT's seats were not available in Black BUT you could have ordered black. Did someone tell you it would match black?

It has been a year since the install, so my memory is not that clear. I seem to recall someone telling me black was not an available option. From the info I gathered, I thought they were going to be darker.

The side you are speaking of if i'm correct. Is it by the seatbelt? That's the factory look. It matches the seat belt uhh.. "clicker inner".

Yes. Inside trans tunnel area. You can kind of see the material in my pictures. The original seat covers were leather and vinyl, and were not a cloth material in this location.

Do you have a picture you can show me of this? The back of the Rear seat or front?
No, the Ranchero is still in storage. I just have the above pictures.
The back of the lower seat portion, nearest the floor, was a grey carpet material.

On our website I believe it states, Trim, and Insert separately. The back though I don't understand being carpet. But the lower part from the factory was carpet. We try to achieve a factory look.

On the original seats this area was also, leather or vinyl.

I was brought on at TMI about a month and a half ago, and I've been finding issues that I'm getting fixed. Which headrests were sent and what do you have?

I was sent small and more oval shaped headrests. I have the longer, tube like headrests. The seats did come from a 2000 GT Vert. You can see them in the pic's.

Many people dont realize that GT =/= 03/04 Cobra,Mach1, Bullit. But GT matches 01 Cobra. I'm in the process of going through and revamping everything.

I'm more of a late model guy so I try to know as much as I can about the late model cars.

They are made for a tight fit, BUT, I do believe we got a little too generous for a bit with the foam. We have since toned it done to assure a better fit. I apologize for your issue!

I remember calling to make sure I ordered the correct new foam. If I had not modified these they would have never fit.

I don't blame you. Next time if you're doing a late model modification, give me a call directly I'm Jared., and/or Cindy here a call directly she's our vintage expert.

I hope I helped! Let me know if there's anything else you need

Thanks, for your concern. It is appreciated. If you had a magic wand and could make the seats black and red, I would take you up on it. I decided to use them, so this is not your fault. I will call you next time.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

The above is a picture of one of my new seats. It is a 94 Mustang seat recovered to match the vinyl style, color and stitch pattern of the original 67 deluxe seats. I worked with Cindy at TMI using photos of the original seat and the old 94 seat. The up-charge for the different colors and pattern were worth it. I am still working on the engine bay and under dash stuff so the seats aren't installed yet.

One of the seats was damaged from packaging and Cindy repaired it almost immediately. Their customer service was great. I spent a lot of time emailing and calling Cindy to make sure I was getting what I thought I had ordered. I asked for a shot of the seat covers when finished before they were mailed and she sent that along too. I highly recommend TMI. I have also used there products for all the rest of the interior so the vinyl colors will match. The deluxe door panels came from Mustang Interiors, and I couldn't be happier with them either.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Those are pretty sweet! I would have considered them if they were available when I had mine done. You should make one for the back seat as well and sell them as a set...just saying. Feel free to send me a residual for the idea.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those are pretty sweet! I would have considered them if they were available when I had mine done. You should make one for the back seat as well and sell them as a set...just saying. Feel free to send me a residual for the idea.
They are coming as a set or front only :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts