Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
19,298 Posts
I like them. Never seen those and there's a guy around with a fair collection of Studebakers. makes me think they are solid unobtanium.
Also playing with the image thing. Too easy to upload direct now and no need for an external photo hosting site. How about that?
Yeah, old fuzzy crappy photo, I know. But look how sweet my door bar latch came out there. (No latch pin installed.)

·
Premium Member
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like them. Never seen those and there's a guy around with a fair collection of Studebakers. makes me think they are solid unobtanium.
That's just the thing, reportedly some company in the US is making them these days. Not unobtanium, but aluminum instead of original magnesium. 15's and 17's with the correct Ford bolt pattern and decent offsets too. Sadly, the prices are unaffordium. :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
New here and my first post. If you like those wheels, look at the 05 mustang wheels with the center spinner. They are 16inch and look very close to the studebaker wheel. Its surprising how close they are in design. I have a set on my 65 and they look good. I have seen them on crages list for $200 a set. You can still buy the centers if needed. I bought a set of spares centers at a swap meet for $30 bucks. Hope this helps and gives you another option.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I forgot something that could help. The 16inch mustang wheel will clear a 11inch brake disk. I have all disk brakes now on my 65.

·
Administrator
19,298 Posts
I thought "the '05's don't look look like that". Then I went and looked. I see what you are saying, there is some resemblance. I've seen more than a few of these on vintage Mustangs and they look OK. I'm sure they'd look a lot better I expect if I didn't immediately recognize them for their origin.

I always thought the '05 wheels looked more like the vintage Hallibrands really.

Truth be told, I thought we were playing around with the image embedding abilities of the brand new forum update more than actually discussing wheels. (We have a wheel and tire section) But, hey, it's all good.

·
Registered
300 Posts
New here and my first post. If you like those wheels, look at the 05 mustang wheels with the center spinner. They are 16inch and look very close to the studebaker wheel. Its surprising how close they are in design. I have a set on my 65 and they look good. I have seen them on crages list for $200 a set. You can still buy the centers if needed. I bought a set of spares centers at a swap meet for $30 bucks. Hope this helps and gives you another option.
I really like many newer Mustang wheels. Are the 05's offset well for the classics? The ones I like are 04-05 but appear to have like 5 1/2 in backspace...

·
Registered
300 Posts
94-04 will need a 1" adapter 05-09(not sure past that) will need a 1.5" adapter
View attachment 736328
Thanks for the info!
Never thought much of spacers/adapters; is it your opinion and/or the consensus here that these are safe and acceptable for severe duty or daily use?

·
Premium Member
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some knowledgeable folk are opposed to them no matter what the application, yet they are used happily all the time by untold thousands of people. I wouldn't want them on say, a racing car. In my case I have a shortened 8.8 rear end and needed 1" adapters back there. I just got the best quality I could find (German made Eibach) and took good care installing them.

·
Registered
9,732 Posts
Thanks for the info!
Never thought much of spacers/adapters; is it your opinion and/or the consensus here that these are safe and acceptable for severe duty or daily use?
Been autoxing with them for several years no issues .The NEED to be 6160T-6 billet and hub /spacer/ wheel MUST be CLEAN.
Also semi daily them Mid April -Oct

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
They are a Halibrand design. They were an option on certain Studabaker models in the early sixties and would fit (I think) most old mustangs. One reason for this thread is I wanted to see how to post a pic in the new format. Also, I really do like the wheel design. :) View attachment 736198
Ok, first I was thinking you were going to follow with, “and I can not lie”. Second, I like the look but am all about the dish, so too much backspace kills it for me. I really wish there were more 16” options.

·
Premium Member
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like the look but am all about the dish, so too much backspace kills it for me.
Yup, me too. That's one reason I like the look of that Halibrand/Studabaker wheel, nice deep dish but maybe you can't tell that from the pic. I think they start around $345 a pop though, not including the tri-bars, if you want a different color center, or shipping. I also understand the order time is a minimum six months...

·
Registered
300 Posts
I love the "flat" look of alot of backspacing. And thanks, @2nd 66 ,for the detailed info.

·
Administrator
19,298 Posts
What kind of lame-o does that? You just know it's going to sling road spray all over the car. Needs fender flares. Duh! Take a steel 55 gallon drum, quarter it and that would give you four right there. Surely it needs matching flares on the front too. Right?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts