Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around for a bland daily driver for a while, something to get me around while the mustang gets finished. Ive been saving all my money to get this car so the mustang has been on hold, but now i can spend all my money on the resto again /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Its nothing special, but i just sniped a black on black 5 speed 94 probe... Its not fast at all with its 4cyl, but it should work well. The car only has 60k miles and i bought it for around $2700. Im sure the other bidders hate me because i sniped it with 20 seconds to go after not bidding at all throughout the auction. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I also want to thank the people that were helping me out by looking for other cars (i967mustang etc).

Back to mustang-land!

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trust me... I would normally wait until 5-10 seconds left, but with such a big purchase i wanted to make sure I had a chance to bid again if necessary. God bless the cable modem /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
The Probe 5-speed/4 cyl combo is actually quite fast. With mild mods, such as a GReddy intake, cam gear, GReddy catback exhaust, you can hit low 16s, high 15s, assuming you can drive the 5-speed well and the transmission and engine are both in good shape. A friend of mine has a 92 Probe in the low 15s, high 14s with only $2,400 in his motor which is LOW for imports.

G

·
0 Posts
You have no idea.

I was going about 100 out of a few stop lights with three other mustangs (late models, my 99 gt).

A few seconds later I was passed by this probe when I was going 135. I am gussing he was going about 55 when we passed hom. He came out of nowhere and stomped all of us mustangs, it was amazing!

·
Administrator
19,348 Posts
My step daughter had a 93 until an oldster killed it with a Buick. I was happy to let the insurance co. total it. One thing to really watch for is blue smoke if you get the chance to start it cold. On a V8 this would mean worn valve seals and no real big deal. On the mid-90's Probes this means a crack has developed in the cylinder head. Ours did this. It would only smoke after it had sat for a couple of hours, but then -clouds. We found this to be very common and good used heads unavailable. The local head rebuilder (very competent) said they hadn't been able to figure out a lasting repair. We were at a loss, and told her to keep oil in the car and drive it til something gave.
If the seller has conveniently warmed up your car just before you get there, you won't be able to check this.
Not all Probes do this, and otherwise ours was quite a good car. One other problem is that the door panels tend to fall in half. A minor thing, but no one seems to have come up with a good solution for it either. No help in the salvage yards, everybody else's have split too.
If you get past these two problems, you likely bought a good car. And pretty fun to drive too.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
has your friend had any major problems with the car?? What what I've seen, people either have all kinds of problems with the car, or have no problems whatsoever.

Of course after doing all the work on my mustang, I'm sure fixing some things on a 4cyl can't be too hard /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I just hope you dont post back in a couple of weeks that you got probed /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I just hope you dont post back in a couple of weeks that you got probed /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Cool Corey! That will make a nice daily driver.
PS....15's in the quarter are quite fast....and when did 15's become fast? Hehehehe, I'm just kiddin' around. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Im sure the other bidders hate me because i sniped it with 20 seconds to go after not bidding at all throughout the auction.

I doubt it. They probably feel like I do when a sniper outbids me ... they were willing to pay more than I was so have at it.

I've never understood the sniping thing. Either you're willing to pay that much or you aren't. Just bid the max amount you're willing to pay (proxy bid). If someone else wants to pay more 2 days before the end or 10 seconds before it ends, you never walk away upset.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There's people on that feel the need to be the top bidder throughout the auction... You bidding higher than them makes them return bids until they are back on top. This cycle just keeps raising the price.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts