Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i love NPD but they need to fire the web designer. i tried to search for ignition products, and wheels and seats get into the mix in the results. incomplete descriptions or none at all. a single item listed multiple times with different prices and item numbers when it's the same product. mismatching pictures for items.
dont get me wrong, i love npd. fair prices, fast shipping. always stocked up. but the website needs an overhaul. (end rant)

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
5,740 Posts
Yes Rick himself has admitted it's not perfect. But what has worked for me is to use the catalogue to find the right parts and plug the part# in. I have a flag on the index section, so I can find the right part quite easily. I also believe the descriptions are coming from the manufacturer so the guy inputting the info is likely not aware of incorrect data. Why not add the erroneous info to your thread so he can have his guy fix it?

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Legitimate complaint.

Do a search for a 1967 brake booster. 11 pages of results. Vacuum lines, fender covers, cluster bezels, wiper switches, wheel cleaner, wiring harness ect, all show up in the results.

Thats why I get frustrated and end up buying somewhere else that has a decent website. Since some vendors assign their own p/n to an item, its not a case of finding what you want on one website and buying it on another.

If NPD would fix the online catalog I think their sales would increase by more than enough to cover the cost.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Look, Ricks cousin is doing the best he can. Or brother in law, or whatever relative he had to upgrade the website....
The first web site I ever really visited, well the second, was Summit....no one else's has ever really impressed me other than the evil CJ's one...which is, unfortunately......very good.......

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
Love npd, but have to agree their search engine leaves a lot. I bought from cj for a couple of years because of this. Until shipping issues got to be to risky. I spoke with Rick about it, he acknowledged it was not the best, but sent me a catalog so I just search for part numbers. Totally worth it to support a contributing member here on the forums and a company that seems to take great pride in what they do. Ill tell you this though, not long ago my wife sent me a pic of our 9yo son thumbing through it, picking out parts for his mustang. Proud Dad moment for sure.

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
I love NPD and the way they do business, but agree the website is very vague at best, search function is hit or miss with “interesting” results. I think it’s intentionally that way😊. On more than one occasion I have done a search, totally unrelated parts come up, and I see something that triggers an “oh, I might need one of those too” response....kind of like the crap hanging out by the check out line at Target.

Kidding aside, Rick has stated he would almost prefer customers call directly and talk to someone. I know that’s not always possible for those that live abroad or do most of their hobby shopping/purchases late night...hopefully we will continue to see improvements, but the catalog is great and reminds me of the old days of doing my Christmas shopping through the Sears catalog. I suspect the ever changing landscape of parts and suppliers would make it difficult to keep the website updated and accurate.

As for parts with different numbers and prices, I would be interested in seeing an example. My experience has been, a part may be offered/manufactured by multiple suppliers and each will be slightly different in quality and cost, hence the variances.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
The main thing I don't like about the CJ website is that you have to "lock in" a particular year model. Then if you want to look for a part for a different year model you have to go back and change the locked-in year model to the new one. At least on my computer this takes quite some time.
On the NPD site you don't have to lock-in a specific year model. If you click on the black '70 model it will bring up the requested part for all '65-'73 year models. Or you can specify the year model and it doesn't require an act of Congress to change it.

·
Super Moderator
9,575 Posts
Ask for an NPD catalog be sent to you - it has everything you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing like an old school
Catalog!

·
Registered
335 Posts
from my experience using their search engine, it seems the search engine “ORs” the words together instead of ”ANDing” them together. Trying to be more specific with by using more terms actually does the opposite Like others have said, it is pretty much useless. I usually look in the catalog first and search on part number (not ideal).

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Cancel culture? Blame the system? Thats part of the problems with each successive generation, they want the outside world to conform to their expectations, simple answers to simpleton questions dropped in their laps!
No, work with the system thats there!

DONT USE THE SEARCH BAR!
Start at the home and pick the car then pick the categories/sub categories to narrow it down as many levels as it will let you and browse..

·
Registered
9,634 Posts
Cancel culture? Blame the system? Thats part of the problems with each successive generation, they want the outside world to conform to their expectations, simple answers to simpleton questions dropped in their laps!
No, work with the system thats there!

DONT USE THE SEARCH BAR!
Start at the home and pick the car then pick the categories/sub categories to narrow it down as many levels as it will let you and browse..

Businesses can live or die by the ease of use of their website. If a site is difficult to find what you want on, your customers may go elsewhere. Forcing people to conform to how you think things should work, just doesn't pan out in the real world. Most don't want to spend twenty minutes mindlessly clicking through pages to find the light bulb or screw kit that's needed.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it's not just the searching as i mentioned in my post. most of the time when looking for a part on their site, i have to use other sites just to read up on the part and make sure the part i did find on npd is the part i'm acutally looking for because the pictures are either incorrect or the description is wrong or not complete. i had to return a few parts from npd because of that reason. realizing after that it was for the wrong year or convertible/fast back etc.

·
Registered
829 Posts
it's not just the searching as i mentioned in my post. most of the time when looking for a part on their site, i have to use other sites just to read up on the part and make sure the part i did find on npd is the part i'm acutally looking for because the pictures are either incorrect or the description is wrong or not complete. i had to return a few parts from npd because of that reason. realizing after that it was for the wrong year or convertible/fast back etc.
Yep, had the same issue with horns. I ended up with an AC horn, which I didnt know was different. Its not listed in the name or description, only in the application list on the right. You have to get it wrong a few times before you learn how the web designer wants you to figure out what the part is.

·
Dimples
4,379 Posts
My agency builds websites (among other things) like this, and I can tell you it would be a MASSIVE project to build and maintain a site like NPD's. It's entirely do-able, but would cost a small fortune to build. I'm not saying it's an either/or scenario necessarily, but I would much rather have a friendly and helpful customer service staff than a perfect website when ordering parts. Ideally, you'd have both, but experience has shown us that it does tend to be one or the other, and I would much rather deal with NPD on the phone than CJ on their website.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
My agency builds websites (among other things) like this, and I can tell you it would be a MASSIVE project to build and maintain a site like NPD's. It's entirely do-able, but would cost a small fortune to build. I'm not saying it's an either/or scenario necessarily, but I would much rather have a friendly and helpful customer service staff than a perfect website when ordering parts. Ideally, you'd have both, but experience has shown us that it does tend to be one or the other, and I would much rather deal with NPD on the phone than CJ on their website.
And guess how an NPD website initiative would be funded.....

Its a lower margin business, the website would not generate much incremental business, so hopefully you guessed it - higher prices across the board (perhaps +10%) to enable an “easier” website search (instead of picking up the phone) and buy a Scott Drake gas cap (or other ubiquitous part).

The catalog is great, pick one up and you’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Its a lower margin business, the website would not generate much incremental business,
I'll disagree with that statement. When I first started my project, I found myself using CJP because their website was better...they had video reviews and even installation videos. I spent a few grand with them initally. Then started having problems and shifted to NPD because of their customer service. But their website is more like ones we were surfing back in the late 90's...nothing like what most of us expect when shopping online. And I remember it was redesigned in the last couple years and is better than it was.

Sure, they're definitely a much better choice to buy from...but without having data to back it up, I would bet it does cost them money in lost sales. Maybe not enough to offset a big redesign budget...but you have to give the customers what they want. In 2020 for "get a catalog..it's the best way to find what you want" be a true statement is a bit crazy.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it doesnt have to be anything fancy like CJ. even if it was all catalog style and all text website. like:
#partnumber/item title..................$price and a link to a small picture and small description and maybe a link to reviews. and an accurate search results. that would be simple and cheap to make.
maybe something like rockauto. their site is so simple and to the point and i've never had a problem finding a part i needed except for actually having the part i needed. (ha) thats what makes npd so good.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
With the quality of the NPD catalogue and their knowledgable over the phone sales people the web site is a non issue.

Reactions: Israel
1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.