Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Realistically that's why CJPP is so popular. They have a great online catalog . to bad they have poor service
I was recently shopping for some off-road parts for my Jeep Gladiator. To my surprise, up pops CJPP. Looks like they're getting into the off-road parts business BIG TIME. Actually a good business move because I think they've lost a lot of their classic Mustang customers.

·
Vendor
3,771 Posts
i searched for "pertronix igniter" and and going through the mess of starters and crimping pliers... igniter 1's show pictures of 3's and 2's as 1's. 4 different versions with the same title and description. cant tell if they are single point or two point. also some of them are misspelled as "ignitior" i had to try to compare them to other websites to make sure i was getting the correct one
Ignitor is spelled with an "o".

If you spell it correctly, they come up perfectly: Product Search - National Parts Depot

I do not see a single Ignitor 1 with an incorrect photo
I do not see a single Ignitor 3 with an incorrect photo
I do see two Ignitor 2's with photos of Ignitor 3's by mistake. The photography guy will be punished (not really, but I'll get them re-shot)

Thanks for catching "Ignitior", that fat-finger must have happened when Scott entered the Ignitor 2's, because the mis-spell is only on the 2's.

What do you mean you "can't tell if it's dual or single"? You're not even reading the application information that's provided right there on the screen. Dual-point applications are all 100% spelled-out in detail.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Rick, I feel for your Team having to write all those descriptions into the website. That’s a Herculean job. As you note, knowing the right words is everything when searching, especially on the NPD site. Unfortunate many users won’t know to type in Headlight vs Head light. So there have to be lists of alternative terms. As previously mentioned the search engine should be able to take multi word searches as well. And it should support quotes to search for a very specific term. These features would go a lot towards resolving current frustrations. Is it possible to crowd source the alternative terms. I have seen sites that allow customers to suggest alternative search term to help the next guy find the part.
As for the piece that caused me so much frustration last week (My own fault for Misplacing the catalog). It turns out the problem is a bad data set on the web site.

Look up item 13489-1A. I think the problem will be readily apparent.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Ignitor is spelled with an "o".

If you spell it correctly, they come up perfectly: Product Search - National Parts Depot

I do not see a single Ignitor 1 with an incorrect photo
I do not see a single Ignitor 3 with an incorrect photo
I do see two Ignitor 2's with photos of Ignitor 3's by mistake. The photography guy will be punished (not really, but I'll get them re-shot)

Thanks for catching "Ignitior", that fat-finger must have happened when Scott entered the Ignitor 2's, because the mis-spell is only on the 2's.

What do you mean you "can't tell if it's dual or single"? You're not even reading the application information that's provided right there on the screen. Dual-point applications are all 100% spelled-out in detail.

Rick
NPD
i know the spelling. the point was i had to misspell it many different ways to find more results of what you have listed because of the spelling errors.

·
Super Moderator
9,575 Posts
I DO enjoy the catalogs Rick!

·
Vendor
3,771 Posts
Rick, I feel for your Team having to write all those descriptions into the website. That’s a Herculean job. As you note, knowing the right words is everything when searching, especially on the NPD site. Unfortunate many users won’t know to type in Headlight vs Head light. So there have to be lists of alternative terms. As previously mentioned the search engine should be able to take multi word searches as well. And it should support quotes to search for a very specific term. These features would go a lot towards resolving current frustrations. Is it possible to crowd source the alternative terms. I have seen sites that allow customers to suggest alternative search term to help the next guy find the part.
As for the piece that caused me so much frustration last week (My own fault for Misplacing the catalog). It turns out the problem is a bad data set on the web site.

Look up item 13489-1A. I think the problem will be readily apparent.
Ugghh.. I'll have that looked into. My IT Director is having a bad week, I'll tell ya that. Phone systems on the fritz, web issues, employee/department issues, he's pulling his hair out.

I like the crowd-source idea, just something to manage, but should be do-able.

Gotta go folks, it's the weekend and my family awaits!! Thanks for being civil with me!! :)

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
@69bossnine thanks for your input. I admit I struggled at first with your site and you reached out to me and sent me a catalog, that and the absolute pristine condition all your packages come in made me a believer in npd. I cant wait to visit your Florida store this August!

I saw just a small part of the struggle with internet parts sales when I did a winter at the world's largest Arctic Cat dealership, in their warehouse. The people those sakes reps had to deal with.....yikes.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I was recently shopping for some off-road parts for my Jeep Gladiator. To my surprise, up pops CJPP. Looks like they're getting into the off-road parts business BIG TIME. Actually a good business move because I think they've lost a lot of their classic Mustang customers.
The off road accessory market is pretty saturated but it’s and order of magnitude bigger than the classic car market. I can’t blame them for wanting to diversify. The name brand stuff will be price driven anyway. If they can save a buyer $50 on a set of Method wheels (or whatever name brand product) I don’t know that the service is going be that much of an issue for them.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
so many younger hobbyists who are rigidly addicted and obsessed with doing ALL of their parts researching and purchasing online...
That’s your blind spot Rick. That’s not just kids buying hobby parts, that’s how most under 40 use retail now for most things. You (and I) were raised at a time when catalogs were a thing and the heritage of your family’s company revolved around mail order and catalogs. You see online as an extension of catalog/mail rather than another channel entirely. People today are raised to take advantage of the internet. It’s an extension of their life.

As I’ve said prior when this is brought up you guys are more insulated from the disconnect because the business is selling parts for old cars to old men with disposable income. There are a few kids but far and away most everyone is over 40 if not over 50. Sears, Penney’s, and Bed Bath and Beyond weren’t so fortunate. It’s one thing to see a trend and recognize it’s not how one wishes to operate their business. It’s another thing to dismiss these as trends while not recognizing they are no longer trends but the norm.

·
Registered
177 Posts
As much as I am an NPD fanboy, a catalog user and a Boomer, I have to agree with vegasloki on this one.

Rick, I know you can surf your website with ease because you use it literally all the time and are intimately familiar with all the jargon. The majority of users are not and want that surfing to be relatively easy so there has to be a way to make the search engine a bit more forgiving and more intuitive without rewriting the entire website.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I wouldn't even use NPD except for the fact they're the best on the planet for having what you need, letting you buy it and getting it to your door...

Website, smebsite... Jiminy Cricket.

If you don't have a phone (that's landline or cell), you probably have a problem, otherwise STFU and call for your parts...

Unbelievable to me for someone to bitch about NPD.

Allen

PS, this is not a paid advertisement, but I'm still trying to get @69bossnine to chip in... :LOL:
I'm a boomer like you Allen but I don't want to call a suppler unless I have a question about a product. I want to point and click, that is the world today. I took no offense my the comments after your post. The world is now internet based and NPD has my Mustang business and I would like to see them survive and thrive in the new world. They have work to do!

I guess I'm a late boomer, Amazon delivers to my house almost daily and when they get grocery's out here in the sticks it will most likely be daily.

I'm just now stumbling on this thread,

Rick
NPD
I think everybody here want's NPD to thrive, and you have helped me remove issues when they popped up. Put the catalogue online so we can click on the part numbers?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
If you send me a catalog it's going immediately in the recycling bin.

Any shortcoming on the web side of things are not made up for by having a great paper catalog in my opinion, it shouldn't be looked at that way. Have both if you'd like, but both outlets should be able to stand alone, independent of the other.

Change is difficult too. You see companies trying to reinvent themselves to keep up with an evolving customer base and sometimes they fail anyway- they do it wrong, or they take it too far, or they were just doomed regardless. None of it sounds very easy.

NPD is doing a good job. It's easy to see by the stalwart reputation around here, while at the same time certain competitors take a beating- it's not as if we're simply just easy to please. So I don't mean this to be criticism, just thinking out loud because I really do care.

·
Premium Member
3,772 Posts
I hope Rick @69bossnine is training someone that cares as much as he does (and we do) to pilot NPD for the next generation. I hope I can buy Mustang parts another 40 years or so !

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
In this case I see Rick more as the trainee than the trainer. ;)
How exactly do you run your multi-million dollar business/website?

I understand trying to give opinion, but calling him a trainee is a bridge too far...of course, just my opinion as well.

Allen

·
Super Moderator
9,575 Posts
As usual, someone has to cross the line.

And then there were none.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.