Vintage Mustang Forums banner

I made another video: how to mix and spread body filler

862 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Caper50 
#1 · (Edited)
I see too many pictures of bondo that are way too red (or blue for polyester fillers). Was doing some filler work tonight so decided to make a quick vid that might be helpful to others.

#2 ·
Is that the 1969 Grande? If so I told ya that car was too nice to crush. I might want that back. LOL.
Did you ever figure out what color green that thing was originally?
I hated to let that go.
Magic. You do amazing work.
I hope you and your family are doing well. One of these years we will have to get beers again.
I want too see more pic's of that car please.

#3 ·
It's actually my 78 LTDII, or the donor shell for it that I'll be transferring everything over to (my car is the blue car you can see sitting in the driveway). It was my dad's car, and then my own car (and first car I restored). I just love it more than my Mustangs and ever since dad died two years ago I knew I had to get it done. I haven't actually done anything with that Grande, it's still sitting just as it was the day I brought it home, and it has been in a shed the entire time.

I found a nice complete big block front end from a Cougar for $350 (he's cutting the car in half right behind the windshield pillars) at John's Classic Cougars up by GR that I'm going to put on the Mach, basically the entire piece from frame rails forward. Therefore I don't think I'm going to hack off anything from the Grande, though, the floors are really rough in the Mach (repairs are comical). The things I'd take off the Grande would be a lot of the pieces I'm missing for mine, like door guts, heater box, etc. If you think you want the shell and Grande-specific parts back let me know and I can not trash it.

Yes, once COVID passes we need to get together again.

#4 ·
Can't wait to see the 78 done. No. I don't really want the Grande back. I think I have enough projects to keep me busy for years. Eventually I will have the garage built. Then someday I would really like to do a ground up restoration with my 1969 Mustang. We will see. Life always seems to have different plans than what I would like.
Glad you and your family are doing well.

Reactions: Israel
#5 ·
lol....that video would have been very helpful when I was doing mine. I know for a fact I used way more hardener when I first started out.

#6 ·
Almost everybody does unless they had some kind of formal instruction first. Though I was going a little on the skimpy side when I was making this video. I've been adding slightly more now just to get it to harden up a little faster. All of this filler still sanded off nice and dusty (as in not gummy) when I sanded it though.

#7 ·
The guys at the local auto body supply joint came from collision work. A hack they use is to thin it with acetone if they use too much catalyst. That’s not a hack I’ve used but I have used Plastik Honey to thin when I need a light skim coat. If I’ve used too much catalyst I add more filler until it’s right.

#9 ·
I do that too...add more filler if I know I've added too much while mixing and color is too dark. If you're done mixing and it's starting to set on you though, that ship has sailed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.