Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy a car in Indy and I'm located in Denver. I was originally going to fly out with a friend and drive it back, but I'm wondering if it makes more sense to have it shipped. The car has a rebuild engine and is in great running shape, but I do realize it's a 40 year old car. I really want to drive away in the car after my wedding on July 25th. Between plane tickets and gas I think the cost is about even.

So ship it or drive it?

Who has shipped a car and what company did you use? What other factors (like insurance, etc) do I need to think about?

Thanks!

·
Registered
767 Posts
I shipped a car with DAS. No significant complaints; they hit their bid and delivered the car 2 days earlier than indicated. (They then didn't call me until once it was late, I called the "terminal" it was destined for only to find out "Yeah, that's been here for 4 or 5 days".)

My folks are buying a (fairly modern) car in San Diego and driving it cross-country, and it will cost them more than shipping it would (but it's a vacation/adventure for them).

With a wedding in 2 weeks, I'd think you have other things to think about than adding the worries of a roadtrip in a new-to-you 40-year old car. I also would prefer to give the car a good once-over before putting significant miles on it (front end, brakes, etc - all safety things).

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Re: Buying a car - ship it or drive it?

I've shipped a car four times from Texas to south east Wisconsin. In each case my nephew
checked the car out and delivered it to the shipper. Each shipment went as planned
car arrived on date promised.

In each case I had the car insured by my insurance company before shipping.

My impression is that Dallas/Fort Worth to Chicago is a very popular shipping route.
Indy to Denver is probably a whole different thing!

If you want the car before the 25th my guess is you're too late for most shipping.
The place I used shipped by car carrier and tried to get close to filling it. A one or two
car closed trailer may be a lot faster but probably cost you a small fortune!

·
Vendor
3,769 Posts
Buying a car - ship it or drive it?

As Slim said, getting an open slot on a truck in the vicinity of Indy, heading West, within your narrow/immediate timeframe, is a long-shot...

I've driven alot of cars home to Florida after being purchased in Charlotte and Hershey... But every once in awhile you run into hiccups along the way.

The un-restored original cars always make it in fine style..

The ones that've been previously "restored", are always a coin-flip regarding reliability on a long trip.

Can the seller give you an honest opinion on the roadworthiness of the car? Dealer or individual?

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
where is your sense of adventurishem, ive either towed or driven every car ive ever bought long distance and never been stuck overnite anywhere, just use your common sense and pack a few basic tools,duct tape, extra containers for water ect and go for it, theres a ton of folks willing to help out a broken-down classic. wes

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
A friend just sold a mint 67, 390, GT fastback to a guy in Switzerland. The buyer did not drive it home. :shrug:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have driven home and shipped home both. One time a car had problems on the way home, rented a UHaul pickup truck and UHaul 2 wheel dolly and still was WAY ahead of the game after gas and everything.

Things dont always go as planned, but it will NOT cost you an arm and a leg, nor be trouble finding tow options to get home, should there be a failure.

This close to a wedding though? I would be more focused on that then the car right now.

Snell

·
Registered
537 Posts

Unless you are already at the airport flying tonight, I would have it shipped and concentrate on the wedding.
The last thing you want is a car interfering the week of your wedding, I know people that have seperated because of car hobbies.
If timing was different I would suggest driving it as an adventure/vacation thing

·
Registered
204 Posts
Buying a car - ship it or drive it?

I would suggest shipping it. I used DAS as well when I got my 64.5. Their terminal-to-terminal option is cheaper than door-to-door.
At purchase time I had considered flying out and driving it back just like the OP is contemplating, but after receiving the car I was glad I didnt. The seller claimed it was a daily driver. But when I got it I found

- the heater box had been removed (would have been a very cold drive in November)

- the turn signals didnt work

- the horn ring was removed

- instrument back lights didnt work

- one spark plug wire was pinched in half between the generator and shock tower (running on 7 cylinders)

- the C4 trans seemed to slip when shifting

- there was a terrible vibration on deceleration due to a U-joint that had half of the needle bearings missing

- the dual exhaust pipes were poorly clamped together causing some horrible leaks

- it had a 4v carb from a big block V8 on it and was waaaay overcarb'ed causing hard starts/backfiring

and WORST of all,

-the radiator was no good and the car overheated on the way from the terminal in Durham to home.

It was about a 40 mile trip from the terminal. Had I opted to drive it from the sellers location in the midwest, I would not have made it.
None of these problems were mentioned by the seller who assured me that he and wife drove it daily. I dont know how they managed to drive it daily like it was when I received it.

Hopefully yours wont turn out like mine, but I would play it safe and have it shipped.

·
Registered
327 Posts

Try Uship.com I've used them 3x. You may get lucky...register list the route, the time frame, and someone may bid on it. A lot of solo/single transports bid. Usually a big pickup/dually with an open or closed trailer. I have used them and received acceptable bids/transport within 3-4 days, and that was up to mid Maine, off the beaten path. Costs nothing, no obligation to accept bid, cancel anytime, and 1 posting reaches hundreds of potential transporters.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the upcoming wedding I was really on the fence about shipping the car or driving it. I thought it would be a great adventure with my Dad. The inspector said it's one of the best looking cars he's seen in a long time and that I wouldn't be disappointed. He also said everything mechanically looked great-engine, transmission and drive train. I asked him if he thought I'd be crazy to drive it back to Denver and he said unless I was racing the whole way home I'd be fine. Then I received some great quotes on Uship.com (thanks for the great idea) and was leaning toward shipping. Then I called my Dad and he has already bought a non-refundable ticket so driving it is!

If you remember me this weekend send some prayers up to the big guy for me! In case something goes off track I have AAA and a little emergency kit. If all goes well I'll be posting pictures early next week!!!

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
Which Mustang did you score? What color? I'm not far from you. Maybe I'll see you driving it home :p I'll be the guy :drool:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Have fun on the trip and good luck. This last December I bought an 18,100 original milage 87 El Camino and drove it back to Denver From Port Angeles Washington 1600 miles. Had the thermostat replaced in La Grande Oregon. No other problems.

Doug

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We made it!!! I got in at 3am this morning and the car couldn't have ran better or stronger. It was really an awesome trip with my Dad, I'll never forget it. The car was everything I hoped for and more. It's a 67 fastback GT/A 390. I'll post a new new thread with lots of pictures soon.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts