Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been stripping the entire passenger side bottom of the coupe to bare metal. But I am finding it extremely impossible to get all the old paint off. I am going to por-15 the whole underside. How important is it that I get every last inch of it to bare metal? And I don't mean that i am leaving big blotches just little bits and pieces that are in corners. For instance up near the front leaf spring bolt bracket, or in the very corner of the upper shock mount.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
his is only my personal opinion and not to be considered a profesional advice.

The only way to get all the paint off is sanding, blasting or chemical stripping. Each one has to me more disadvantages to trying to remove the paint than to leave it. The POR-15 and any other primer you use must be compatible to painting over the paint. For example, you could spray enamel over lacquer but not lacquer over enamal. Look on the POR-15 at what paints it is not compatible with and any other paint and primer you need and figure out what sort of paint your sanding off. So you can see how the simplest answer is just to remove all the old paint. Its not necissary, just the easiest answer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts