Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A slight doofus and possible fatigue caused me to partially melt my seat track adjuster knob late last night...or it may have been about 1am. Were all of the knobs black (my interior is black) or were they color coded? I can't bring myself to pay $13 plus shipping for a new knob (NPD lists them as "original." Does that mean "used?") It seems outrageous. Does anyone know of a cheaper source of perhaps has one that they would part with for a lower price? I posted an ad in the Wanted section, but I'm not sure how much traffic that gets.

I had to flatten the seat track handle in order for it to clear the late model seats. It was late and I was excited that this portion of the project was going very well. The knob didn't want to come off and I didn't think about the metal end of the handle inside the lever getting too hot.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
35,867 Posts
I can't bring myself to pay $13 plus shipping for a new knob (NPD lists them as "original." Does that mean "used?") It seems outrageous. Does anyone know of a cheaper source of perhaps has one that they would part with for a lower price? I posted an ad in the Wanted section, but I'm not sure how much traffic that gets.
No, it means "Ford". The Drake repro is about $5.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Mustangs Unlimited has them for $2.95! I need new seat bolt access plugs but I don't feel like paying $8 for rubber plugs. I know I'm cheap but it seems like this kind of stuff should be half the price of what it is.

Ok, they have a set of 8 plugs for $4.95. Individually they are listed at .95 cents each. Now I'm happy. :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
I learned long ago not to work on my car past midnight... Motor assembly, welding, paint and body or electrical work at that time have all resulted in additional repair or fire.

·
Registered
35,867 Posts
Mustangs Unlimited has them for $2.95!
Interesting. If you consider overhead and shipping, that's less than they pay for them. They aren't just giving them away, they are paying the customers to take them.

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
When you get the old one off...There is a clip inside the plastic. You will need it. So Don't throw out the original one right away, You need that metal clip inside.

NOS one sold in later Blue and White Ford boxes actually have more of an inside curvature to them, so actually the repros are closer to the original shape than most of the NOS ones. Only the early NOS ones are the "correct" shape, and some of the newer repros...The later NOS ones are not because they are "Service Parts".

Tony K.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. If you consider overhead and shipping, that's less than they pay for them. They aren't just giving them away, they are paying the customers to take them.
Yeah, I was surprised. I'm going to order two of them for that price. How easily do the knobs come off of the tracks? Do I just have to put some muscle into it or should I wiggle it? I was afraid to break it and I wound up melting it. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts