Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after pissing and moaning over the course of six years doing a complete restoration on my step-father's and mother's 66 convertible, I find that I miss working on the car now that it is gone. I am absolutely thrilled that they are driving it daily but I miss wasting away my weekends putzing on the car. Anybody else ever feel that way? Might have to look for a new project....or retire and then look for a new project.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I know exactly what ur feeling. They’re really is no substitute either I’m sorry to say. After I sold my 69 Mach 1, I bought a 70 a few years later. ?

·
Registered
954 Posts
If Cruising was in the Pacific NW, he could come over to my house and help me on my "unfinished" projects. My 66 is waiting for better weather to get it to the paint shop as is my 67 Cougar. The Cougar has other work to be done but again it has to wait for better weather as it gets a bit cold just in an open carport. Or if he closed his eyes, he could help on the brake upgrade on my 70 GMC.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
The momentum from the 65 has got me back into the 67 coupe. It has even pulled in my neighbor, lol.
And I have thought of having an old car club where everyone descends on a single member's project once a month to keep the momentum going. Lust for Rust Moral Support and Wrench Turning Therapy. I could probably get a federal grant for this. Even just two people can do more than twice what one person can accomplish. And it's always good to bounce ideas off of others.
Find yourself a project! They are out there!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Before relocation because of work, I would either be in my garage with my buddy working on my Mustang, or in his garage working on his Corvettes. We had a standing Thursday night car night, and possibly on the following weekend depending on the project and the parts still needing to be put on. I don't have my garage buddy any longer, at least locally, (we talk occasionally of course), but I still spend a lot of my time working on my older ones, or keeping my newer ones polished to a high shine. For me I'll always have something in the garage to play with... Get another project OP, one that you can drive.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
My wife had one DJ working for the station that was a Mustang fan. He had a 67 for an EDD that he piddled with on weekends. He sold it and bought a newer Mustang, kept it about 2 months and traded down to an older Fox body. Said the newer one never needed anything and he missed working on them.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
i wish my infirmities and lack of money didnt prevent me from working on my cars

·
Registered
405 Posts
I had the same dilemma. Bought a 66 C code FB back in 2013. Pretty much finished it the way I wanted. So after driving it for the past 5 years and making small "adjustments" from time to time, I really got the itch for another project, so I bought another 66FB back in July. Still working on it and will be for the next several months.....ahhhh...got my fix..!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Up here in Canada winter is known to gear heads as maintenance season. Funny I look forward to it as more guys are talking/working on car stuff and meeting in different garages to help each other out and a few beers. I do not think I could handle a winter with working on my mustang. Yes, I feel for you. Now, go out there and get that next project going. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
954 Posts
i wish my infirmities and lack of money didnt prevent me from working on my cars
Being a retired "Lead Automotive Technician" (16 years ago), my finances have definitely slowed me down a bit but the worst part is not being able to bend over a fender for more than an hour or so at a time (same thing being underneath and working overhead). At least, I own enough running cars that I don't have any projects that have to be done today. I can work on them at my own pace.

·
Registered
357 Posts
It's always fun to have a project of some kind going on, especially during the wintertime, to keep you busy. Doesn't mean it has to be a complete restoration but just something to spend a little bit of extra money and time on.

·
Premium Member
13,180 Posts
whether its chasing the opposite sex, restoring classic cars, or any other extremely worthwhile pursuit, ones expectations of the "catch" are rarely met 100%. The chase is half or most of the fun. The catch may be a bit of a letdown.

Most cars I've labored over fit that description. once I've got a car exactly the way I want it, i'll drive it for a 2 - 3 years, then lose interest as another, usually crazier challenge comes my way.

Z

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I feel you. The fastback is in painter Jail even though i was promised it wouldnt happen.
The 67 coupe doesn't really need anything to tinker with. Im Bored.
So i picked up a pre smog 1973 Grand Wagoneer out of Arizona. Doing a complete drivetrain swap from a 88 suburban. This should fill the gap for awhile. Lol

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I always say I have more fun working on it than driving it. No one seems to understand.
I completely understand! Every time I put a perfect paint job on a restoration I'd end up selling it. I'm leaving the original paint job on this Mustang and racing it so I'll never be done tinkering.

Reactions: zray

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I feel you. The fastback is in painter Jail even though i was promised it wouldnt happen.
The 67 coupe doesn't really need anything to tinker with. Im Bored.
So i picked up a pre smog 1973 Grand Wagoneer out of Arizona. Doing a complete drivetrain swap from a 88 suburban. This should fill the gap for awhile. Lol View attachment 740156
fi you decide you dont like the grill installed in that wagoneer, check out these videos for installing an older gladiator grill into your jeep;

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Its on my list. Such a better look.
Not so easy to find the Gladiator grill at a decent price though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts