Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a premade carb to fuel pump line but here are my problems
The end that should fit my carb 1v purchased this week from summit will not fit. The end that fits the pump also will not fit.
Fuel pump canister type bought from napa this week.
My old fuel pump has barbs that are screwed in just like the new one .
Should I just cut the ends of my new stainless line and use rubber hose and clamps ? Or
The old line slipped into a rubber line at the pump and screwed into the carb
Sand and paint the old line and reuse it with new clamps and rubber hose.
H e l p.

Thanks for everything

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
If your old line fits I'd just clean that up and re-use it. There are different hard lines depending on the pump, the year, the emmissions, etc so you probably just ordered the line for the non-canister pump or something. I just found at least 6 different versions of the pump to carb line for the I6 on NPD so there are plenty of different ones to choose from.

I suspect the one you really want is this one: https://www.npdlink.com/product/line-fuel-pump-to-carburetor-carbon-steel/106993

But I'm no expert and there are plenty of options out there if you don't want to re-use the old one.

·
Premium Member
9,890 Posts
I doubt that the factory fuel pump had a barbed fitting for the outlet. The pump should have a NPT thread and you can buy a NPT to IFF adapter at any auto parts store. Then run a line with a double flared end at the pump and a bulge at the carb end. Use a short (2") piece of hose to connect the line to the filter.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'll go out this AM and get a picture of my 66. You will need to get the inverted flare fitting to replace the barbed hose fitting in the pump. Someone replaced the steel line with rubber fuel line from the pump to the filter. It's OK except it something gets kicked up by the fan, it could cut that hose and let gas spray all over the engine area.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you look at the fuel pump it comes with screw in barbs the one from CJ pony parts but the fuel line they sell comes with screw in ends.
Just like my old pump. The setup I had was barbs on the pump with rubber hose attached to metal line to the carb and that line screwed into the carb.
BUT My new carb inlet fitting is not the same size to fit the hard line. This is the fuel pump and this is the fuel line they sell and I have.

·
Premium Member
9,890 Posts
The brass fitting in the fuel pump photo is most likely an NPT to IFF adapter. That takes care of the fuel pump end. What type of filter or fitting is on your carb?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I bought the same fuel line a couple of years ago (big name manufacturer, no-name reseller). The fittings/connections for the ends were backwards - there was a flare where there should have been a screw-in fitting and a screw-in fitting where there should have been a flare. The car had been sitting for 20+ years, so I really did not want to reuse the original line and it took way too long to get the new one replaced.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figured I was way over thinking this fuel line so I took the easy way out and used the line that was on the car for the last 20 plus years and matched it to the new line.
And will just put clamps and a rubber line on like was on it before. In pictures of restored Straight six mustangs I see a pics of rubber hose from the carb inlet to the hard line.
So I will mock mines up like that.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I think the rubber is probably only used with the fuel pump that doesn't have the filter on it to allow the line to connect to the inline filter that screws into the carb.

Otherwise you'd need something at the carb basically shaped like a filter with threads on the carb side and a barbed end on the other for the rubber hose in order to connect to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts