Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month My 03 Civic was wrecked. Insur paid me $956.

A few weeks ago I sold our 17 Mustang EB. I took that money and threw it at the mortgage. Should be mortgage free in June or July.

That put the stable down to 4: 65 and 67 Mustang, 96 C1500 and 16 Fusion.

Last week I bought my wife a 19 Accord Hybrid.

That put the stable up to 5.

This week I gave the C1500 to my SIL, he will insure and maintain it and I have a truck when ever I need one. It also parks in his driveway.

The stable is back down to 4.

My older sister is having some tough times and Im giving her my Fusion, it will ship out to Tucson next week.

The stable is down to 3.

I need anew DD.

Im looking at a Fusion Sport, MKZ 3.0 GTDI, BMW 330 or 335, or a Edge.

The Edge is more economical, more versatile and less expensive. Its also BORING. I want the MKZ or the Sport, but a nice used 330 or 335 can be had for under 20k.

Anyone here own any of these? Whats your opinion?

·
Dimples
3,619 Posts
If you’re considering an Edge (my wife drives one, we love it), could you do the Flex? I realize it’s a love it or hate it design, but it handles more like a car than an SUV, is more roomy and can be spec’d out to be pretty darn sporty.

I’ve thought about this one a lot and test drove an ecoboost version that was way more fun than I expected. It’s probably my next daily when I’m in the market.

335’s are fun too though.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My wife has an 08 335i Coupe with manual transmission we bought new and did European delivery. It is one of the nicest, easiest, and fun cars to drive IMO. I was a mechanic for 10 years (quite some time ago) and have driven a number of cars, and I still like this one as the handling, comfort, headlights, brakes, flat torque curve, are all very good.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Neighbor across the street is upside down in a BMW because of how much the needed maintenance costs and it's pouring oil.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My SIL has a 525, he has done all the required maint on it, at 275k it still purrs right along. Requires premium fuel.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have an '11 335 coupe with a manual. Nice car to drive. I do enjoy that. I've kept up on the maint exclusive of the every 2 year brake fluid flush. I don't get the reason for that one. So far nothing's gone wrong with it. I'm not looking forward to the day something does. Working on it doesn't appeal to me and parts and labor are insane.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Regarding a late model BMW, a friend bought one just over a year ago. He enjoys driving the car, got a good price buying one of the dealer service cars at the end of the year. However, he has made it sound like BMW makes it difficult for a owner to do his own maintenance, for example brake service. I like doing my own regular maintenance and requiring special tools and procedures for items like pad and rotor replacement is not something for me. He bought a maintenance contract so that his overall cost of ownership would be lower as unscheduled service is very expensive.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My SIL just did a heater core in his 525. It required removal of the entire dash, including the steering column, seats and console. What a PITA.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
BMW=Burned My Wallet

Best "owner's" car I've ever seen besides a Mustang?
Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Marauder/Town Car

The Panther platform cars are unbelievable.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Last month My 03 Civic was wrecked. Insur paid me $956.

A few weeks ago I sold our 17 Mustang EB. I took that money and threw it at the mortgage. Should be mortgage free in June or July.

That put the stable down to 4: 65 and 67 Mustang, 96 C1500 and 16 Fusion.

Last week I bought my wife a 19 Accord Hybrid.

That put the stable up to 5.

This week I gave the C1500 to my SIL, he will insure and maintain it and I have a truck when ever I need one. It also parks in his driveway.

The stable is back down to 4.

My older sister is having some tough times and Im giving her my Fusion, it will ship out to Tucson next week.

The stable is down to 3.

I need anew DD.

Im looking at a Fusion Sport, MKZ 3.0 GTDI, BMW 330 or 335, or a Edge.

The Edge is more economical, more versatile and less expensive. Its also BORING. I want the MKZ or the Sport, but a nice used 330 or 335 can be had for under 20k.

Anyone here own any of these? Whats your opinion?
BMWs are a bad idea for a daily driver...everything on the things is 10x more expensive when it breaks to fix than any reasonable car.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
If you’re considering an Edge (my wife drives one, we love it), could you do the Flex? I realize it’s a love it or hate it design, but it handles more like a car than an SUV, is more roomy and can be spec’d out to be pretty darn sporty.

I’ve thought about this one a lot and test drove an ecoboost version that was way more fun than I expected. It’s probably my next daily when I’m in the market.

335’s are fun too though.
Wife drives a 16 Flex and we love it. If we weren't putting the house up for sale, and looking at much more expensive houses or building new I would be buying one of the last new one's for the wife and using the 16 as my DD. The Flex has real 2nd row leg room for adults, more than any other car I have seen at that price point and it can haul stuff! It could even tow my Mustang to track events.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I’ve had 4 BMWs. ’84 320; ’86 325e; ’95 Z3 1.9; ’08 X3 manual. The first 3 were wonderful cars. The 325e went 220,000 miles before it was murdered by an Olds wagon pulling a boat. It still had the original clutch. All were fantastic driver’s cars. However, the X3 was a money pit. Incredibly expensive to maintain. Incredibly unreliable, I replaced everything at least once. Even a valve cover gasket cost just under $1,000 because it was necessary to pull the intake manifold! No more BMWs for me.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
My SIL just did a heater core in his 525. It required removal of the entire dash, including the steering column, seats and console. What a PITA.
Not uncommon. The second Gen Jeep Grand Cherokees also required full dash removal. I believe Dodge pickups and Durangos are the same.

John

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im not concerned about parts and maintenance for a BMW, my SIL will handle those issues as they occur.

I found a super nice 2012 328i hardtop convertible, black with brown leather. Looks like a fun car, Im tempted.

·
Dimples
3,619 Posts
Im not concerned about parts and maintenance for a BMW, my SIL will handle those issues as they occur.

I found a super nice 2012 328i hardtop convertible, black with brown leather. Looks like a fun car, Im tempted.
Do it. Somebody else has already taken the hit. Drive it for a year and sell it for pretty much the same money. I usually hang on to daily’s for a long while, but I have thrown in short lived fun cars like that. It’s like dating a crazy girl, but not for too long.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Do it. Somebody else has already taken the hit. Drive it for a year and sell it for pretty much the same money. I usually hang on to daily’s for a long while, but I have thrown in short lived fun cars like that. It’s like dating a crazy girl, but not for too long.
Now that is really, really funny and very apropos. 😆

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hmmmmm..... maybe that's what I need.....

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Picked up an '05 Mini Cooper S JCW for the wife, as we have both been driving the most boring vehicles for years. This little thing just makes me smile every time I drive it. Low mileage units are pretty cheap and at 6'3", I have zero issues fitting in it. Parts aren't crazy, servicing is fairly simple and if it's just the front drive models, there's not a lot to work on anyway.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought the wife a 9 Accord Hybrid.

Im shipping my 16 Fusion to Tucson, my sister needs a car, so Im giving her the Fusion.

There are a few fun cars for sale that I would love to have, but Ive already got 2 Mustangs and the Edge has potential. Late model Mustang wheels fit, Eibach makes springs, a double din android radio fits.

As much as I like the 3 series hardtop convertible there is a e-39 540i-M Sport with a MT for sale in Atlanta.

There is also a e-38 740i in similar condition for sale local and I like a nice interstate cruiser.

Im shipping out the Fusion at the end of the week, so i need to decide something soon.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts