Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My piece of trash 7.25" rear end is going out, I want to get a granada rear to match the granda disc brakes up front. How should I go about getting one at a junk-yard? Is it that difficult to get the rear end off of a granada?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Its not too hard to get one out of a granada, but if you're looking for a disc brake rear end I wish you luck in finding one. Around here (Seattle) I haven't seen one yet at a wrecking yard. You may have better luck in your area.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I've never been a fan of rear discs on 65-66's. Not enough weight to make them effective! Before you do get one, try pricing the parts and be sure you're sitting down. The calipers, rotors, etc are VERY expensive. You can get a 9" rear and put the 10X2 1/2 rear brakes on like Shelby did. These were station wagon brakes and work quite well. I saw where someone is making them again. All you really need are backing plates, as I found an aerostar van has the same drums and the shoes are very cheap, as they were also used on some front brake applications.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I've never been a fan of rear discs on 65-66's. Not enough weight to make them effective! Before you do get one, try pricing the parts and be sure you're sitting down. The calipers, rotors, etc are VERY expensive. You can get a 9" rear and put the 10X2 1/2 rear brakes on like Shelby did. These were station wagon brakes and work quite well. I saw where someone is making them again. All you really need are backing plates, as I found an aerostar van has the same drums and the shoes are very cheap, as they were also used on some front brake applications.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have had the factory disc brakes and they are big money to repair. The calipers and rotors and way out of line in price. I suggest you use a drum brake or if you have to have disc use the aftermarket kits. They use GM rotors and calipers that are easy to get at your local parts store. You need to keep in mind that a 9 inch is a lot of extra wieght for that 6 cyl to lug around. Might want to think 8 inch! More of them too. Denver

G

·
0 Posts
The majority of Granada rears are 8" and drum brakes. The drums are much more substantial than those on the Mustang, so you can't go wrong using that setup. The rear unbolts fairly easily, but is a bear to haul around. Gear ratios are usually less than 3.00:1. Pretty easy swap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts