Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's friend really wants one (don't flame me, I'm only the messenger! LOL) and he was looking at this one:
Link
Anyone/Everyone have any comments about the car. I know I don't like the fan in the front nor do I like the hood but. . .
Stan

·
Registered
838 Posts
I agree with you- :thumbdown: hood :thumbdown: fan- looks line a nice car- definately like the novi and the six speed stroker combo!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Well, being that I am building one of these and have looked at literally thousands of these, I can give you a few bits of info. First, this would not be a true Eleanor, it is a 65 fastback and eleanor is the 67-68 body style. It also really has no Eleanor body kit on it with the exception of the decklid, paint and wheels. As for quality, that could not be determined without seeing it in person. But something that bothers me is the lack of lower grill in lower front valance. Also the lack of lights in the lower valance. This car looks nothing like the car from gone in 60 seconds, but that doesn't mean it isn't a nice car. I guess it just depends on what you want. If he has his heart set on movie type Eleanor, then this is not the car. If he likes restomods and likes 65-66 fastbacks, then this might be decent. Again, I think the buy price is a bit high for just a restomod. I don't think that I could ever pay that for a car I have not touched in person. Just my thoughts.

·
Administrator
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL For some reason I accidently hit the thumbs down. Freudian slip??
Stan

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I guess everyone has their own version of "Eleanor". This isn't my version.

What makes this car an "Eleanor"? Pepper Gray and Black Lemans stripes? There is an Eleanor forum that I frequent that has a registry of all owners, pics of cars, etc. This car would not meet ANY of the minimal qualifications to gain access to the registry. The only thing "Eleanor" about it is the paint job....

Aside from all of this, someone sunk a LOT of money into this car.

but...

That hood has got to go....

There's not a lot of ground clearance....

How are the road manners of this car? I'd hate to hit a pot-hole and rip that oil pan off.

Other than these things, it seems like a solid car that the owner is taking a heckofa loss on.

Dave

·
Administrator
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are great! Thanks for the responses so far. Just a note of clarification. My son just mentioned that this guy likes E's and knows that they are 67-68's but this one caught his eye. And I totally agree that it's a lot of money for a restomod.
Now on with the critiques! LOL
Stan

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Does son's friend plan on making this a DD? This car seems more of a Saturday afternoon toy than a daily driver.

Dave

G

·
Stan,

I like the car personally. The hood definately has to go but that is easy enough. It may not be everybody's cup of tea but if your son likes it who cares? I just wonder if you can build one yourself for less than they are selling for? That way you can "customize" it any way you want.

·
Registered
722 Posts
is it just me or does the interior look out of place with the exterior... looks like a lot of money spent on everything but the interior. that hood looks godawful

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Lose the hood and the car looks good.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I like 2 parts, the drivetrain part and the fastback part. The rest reminds me of something I do in the restroom. :thumbdown:

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
With an R model valance and both a push and pull fan in place he must be having some cooling issues. Other than the weird hood and trunk gap issues it's not a bad looking car.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I saw that one on eBay. It isn't my favorite exterior paint color, but I think the car looks great except for that rediculous cowl hood. I am not a big cowl hood fan on Mustangs, but I have seen a few that I like (not that one though). Surprised that needs the pusher and puller. I would get rid of the pusher for sure (looks rediculous as well).

As for the interior it looks good except for the rubber Mustang mats and the cheap looking speakers.

Someone dumped a ton of money into 80% of that car. The other 20% looks like it was done a little cheaply. I hate when I see a car like that where someone put alot of attention to most of the car, but didn't do the job to the same level on the rest of the car.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Astounding drive train, lame color combo, and absolutely crappy disgusting hood.

I wouldn't pay that much (or anywhere near it), but I'm sure it cost more than that to build it.

John Harvey

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
The hood really sucks.The fuel lines just hanging down look like crap from behind. The rack and pinion is not properly centered, the passengers side boot is extended and the drivers side is compessed while the wheels are straight forward. Otherwise the car is not too bad.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Have him knock off some money for the expense of replacing that goofy looking hood, get rid of the pusher fan (it's not needed) and then you've got a really nice car.

There's a ton of money in that car, and I would venture to say, that he's selling it at a loss. The workmanship on everything I can see looks to be very good, and he seems to have done it with some quality parts, too.

The car is worth the money, if you want a turn key car, with tons of power. I doubt you could get that power to hook up, but it'd be fun trying *LOL*.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I like it, including the hood. But in no way shape or form is this an Eleanor. Ironically, the profile that would tend to like Eleanors the best -- your know, ignorant lemmings -- won't know that, and they'll dig it the most.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well hood is something new and....

One thing which I notised is in this picture:
http://i10.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/ag/1d/b117_12.JPG
What is that cable hanging there? Hand brkae cable or speedo cable?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts