Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold a Mustang rear valance on ebay recently. After the auction was over I recieve an e-mail from the winner asking about some #s on the valance. Then he insists that i send it Fed-Ex(even though I work for the USPS) Please read from the bottom up and tell me if I am in the wrong here.
Thanks Dave

Take caution with your tone and negative feedback doesn't scare me as it's a two way street.I can leave it for you also so think about it.Don't quote what other water heads say as it has nothing to do with this.Your dents and dings and photo's do nothing for the sale as I tried to get the info on numbers before auction closed.You should monitor your ads so people get what they asked for unless you like to be nasty about things.Next you don't have to run anywhere as you can use your computer to get quotes or call.That's part of being responsible vendor.If you don't like or want to do these things don't list stuff on E-Bay!

[email protected] wrote:
You said to go to Fed-Ex so that is what I did! I also told you that I cannot make out the #s on the rear valance. I am far too busy to run all over town to get quotes for you. I live about 30 miles from the city. Now either you paypal me the amount for shipping and the amount for the Valance or we just forget the whole deal and I give you negative feedback. Like the guys said on Vintage Mustangs.com(You should have not bid on it if the #s mean that much to you and you could not find the info out before the auction closed)

Dave

-------------- Original message --------------
CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT THE NUMBERS ARE ON THE REAR VALANCE?
Do some checking with UPS or DHL as that shipping price sounds high for a light piece of steel?
[email protected] wrote:
I went to Fed-Ex today to get a quote for shipping. They said it would run around $25 to ship it to your address. I also scraped those #s you were asking about but I still can not make out what the letters or numbers are(kinda looks like a V or A followed by 2 #s that look to me like 6 and a 7(not sure though). So if you would paypal the orig amount for the rear valance plus shipping. I will get the valance on it's way to you.

Dave

-------------- Original message --------------
OK sounds good so what is the numbers on top of the rear valance as I've asked this question 6 times now?Just want to know to satisfy the question...Thanks

[email protected] wrote:
Well: why don't we take care of the rear valnce that you won the bid on first. Did you want to paypal me or send a check. I will get it to fed-ex and find out how much it is to send it to you. The front valance has the one dent on the side but it also has a few dings in the front from rocks and stuff.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I think the final outcome will be negative for both of you.

He wants a number you can not give...thus will hold it
as a negative towards you even if the rest goes fine.

...and fine it is not by what I read.
You have been given an out...he wants numbers that are not there.

Perfect...contact Ebay (there is a procedure) to cancel a sale do to a discovered defect in your product. This way he can not leave you negative
and you both move on. You then list it again.

By the way what style rear valance is it? Condition?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Typical ebay idiot that you will never satisfy no matter what you do. You went out of your way already to get him quotes, but he doesn't realize this part is oversized which bumps it up in price to ship. You will get negative feedback no matter what from this guy.
One negative isn't the end of the world. I have one negative from a guy who was charging someone else's UPS account in another state and the item I bought was damaged when I got it. Lets just say when I contacted the real UPS account holder they refused the claim, since they had no idea what I was talking about. Just another type of scam on ebay.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
The D**&head bought it and THEN asks questions?

I have not looked at the ad, but if you were honest and made no bones about no numbers it is not your problem that you did not respond to his questions before the end of the auction. It is the buyers responsibility to either cancel the bid, or buy on the basis of the ad, no mention that you have to respond to a question sent "x" minutes before the end of the auction because they get cold feet.

Ebay is Caveat Emptor... unfortunatley you may get one negative, if so just post a polite and accurate reply if so...

I would stick to the terms of the listing, be polite, yet firm, and offer to "let" the buyer reneg on the CONTRACT he entered when winning the bid.

On the other hand ... I have heard of anecdotal second-hand urban myth stories concerning sellers in similar circumstances who had a horroble accident and the part went up in flames... so sad! Not that I'm making any sugestions here! :shocked: :p

·
Vendor
4,221 Posts
The high cost of shipping is due to the SIZE of the part, not the weight... UPS, FedEx Ground, USPS, they're all going to weigh and measure the package, and charge whichever is higher, weight or dimensional... In the case of a valance, you're always going to be charged what they term "dim-weight", and typically (if you box it well, so it stands a chance of surviving the trip..) it's going dim out at around 25-30 lbs equivelant... Your buyer needs to wake up and understand shipping rates, and you need to do a better job of communicating these realities..

Furthermore, you don't need to drive around to quote freight expense, you can get freight quotes online from any of the major shipping companies.

Part of the problem I see here is that both of you are guilty of poor communication.

Were it me, I'd sit down and type a "let's calm down and work together" email, attaching a good picture or two of the areas in-question on the valance using your digital camera's "close-up" setting, to show the guy 1st-hand what you're looking at, allowing HIM to decipher whatever he may concerned about from the part, and get this transaction settled.

Seems to me that if you work together, and communicate well, you'll get payment, ship the part, and feedbacks will all be positive... Or, you agree to call-off the transaction, and the feedbacks should still remain positive...

If he did indeed ask you these questions prior to the auction close, and you never made a reasonable attempt to answer them, he's got a valid beef. It's common to bid in good-faith, not wanting to lose the item, but expecting reasonable questions to be answered prior to close so that you can rescind your bid if necessary.

My take (having done more negotiations than you can imagine), is that this transaction is going south for no good reason... You should be able to easily salvage it, offer several shipping quotes within a matter of minutes online, and send him a good photo of the stampings...

·
Registered
561 Posts
+1 to bossnine. As a dispassionate observer I can see two sides to this coin. In fact, I have been on both sides of that argument and it can only end well if one (or both) people just forget the animosity for a little while and hammer out the details.

As far as the shipping goes, maybe you could offer a reduced shipping charge if the buyer agrees to let you fold the valence in half so that it will fit into a smaller box. :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
I dont see the original ebay ad, but he should have asked questions before he bid on the items and shipping should be your decision unless you offered the buyer his choice for express shipping. I would just tell him straight out you cant read the numbers, and does he want to cancel the sale. I try not to send negative feedback. Sometimes folks make mistakes and bid on something before they think. Chances are you can relist the items and make your money back.

G

·
What are the chances the buyer will be happy when/if he receives the valance? Some people are never happy and looking for hand outs.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Tell him to pound sand & report it to ebay as mentioned above. Sounds like he got buyers remorse after he became the winning bidder. Give him one more chance - nicely - to complete the transaction & if he does not then just move on.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The money involved here is not worth the stress you are going through. Let him have it like it is or let him off the hook. Nothing has been mailed and no money has changed hands. I'd find a non-confrontational way to end it. Send him an invoice with instructions and if he fails to comply thats that.
Also, I would not sell sheet metal I needed to ship.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Do like a few people have stated. Let him off the hook and relist it. It is not worth the hassel and the neg feedback you will get.
Al

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm with the rest of these guys. Tell that knucklehead to pound sand. I'm fed up with the a-holes and scammers on ebay.
btw, is it a GT rear valance?

·
Registered
175 Posts
This seems to be going downhill quickly. As others have said, it seems like both of you have contributed to it (him more than you). The buyers seems to be a PITA. I agree that he will not be happy no matter what happens. His asking questions after the auction can be expected. But, he should not hold up completing the transaction. This kind of person always finds a way to distort the truth make others look bad.

You can do several things as others suggest;

1. You can go tell him to pound salt. Then you can be sure of a negative feedback.

2. You can ask him if he would like to cancel the transaction, and agree that you both will not leave any feedback. If you do, you will want to watch for any feedback from him for 90 days. He may try to hose you in a few weeks without you knowing. After 90 days, neither of you can leave feedback.

3. Try to come to terms. Your terms, that is. Tell him you cannot read the numbers he's asking for. Send him a picture to shut him up. You gave him a shipping quote from FedEx. Give him a quote from the USPS. That should be easy, since you work there. You can get an online quote from UPS, and give him that too. That should be more than sufficient. You could send him the package dimensions and weight. He can then check for himself. I wouldn't offer any other shipping options. Maybe he will get it through his thick skull, that it considered oversized. Likely not. Make sure you tell him that you will not leave him feedback until he leaves you one first.

STOP THE PRESSES!!!

I just found your eBay listing. Have you seen this guys feedback? He's got a few negatives for buying now, asking questions later, then refusing to buy. Forget what I said. Contact eBay as suggested and see if the transaction can be cancelled so no feedback can be left. This guy is a tool. Nothing is going to make him happy. Jerks like this ruin it for the rest of us.

I would like to offer some advice for your next eBay auction. State your conditions for shipping items up front. No where do you give your terms. Ebay has a nice feature for clculating shipping cost within the auction. I have found it to be very accurate. If you do not want to sell with PayPal, take that option out of your auction. I'm surprised your auction didn't get pulled by eBay. It is against policy to add PayPal charges to your sale. I do not like their fees either. I will not use PayPal for any items that will sell for large amounts. Like you, I prefer wire transfers.

I hope you can resolve this with eBay. I've had issues where eBay actually stepped up and taking care of things for me. I would go directly to eBay and avoid this guy. Sorry if I gave you redundant information. I hope you come out of this without any damage to your feedback, or wallet. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
that guy called us waterheads!!! the nerve! :swing:
Robin

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Jim Smith said:
I'm with the rest of these guys. Tell that knucklehead to pound sand. I'm fed up with the a-holes and scammers on ebay.
btw, is it a GT rear valance?
I agree. What an idiot! When I bid on stuff I ask all questions up front. If they are not answered (which sometimes happens), then it's up to me whether to continue to bid on the item or not. When I list things, I always state "I am currently unable to provide shipping quotes"-and/or "I will be out of town before the auction ends and will not have access to a computer". Although I have 100% feedback, I will agree that sooner or later I will buy something or sell something and someone will not be happy no matter what. Sh*t happens, but the balance of your feedback will still speak for itself.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry the rear valance is just a plain jane one for 1964.5-66 with only the holes for the bumper gaurds in it. I appreciate all the replies!! I am just going to relist it and block him from bidding on anything of mine again.

Thanks Dave

·
Banned
647 Posts
You need to go thru ebay and get your listing fee and sales fee back. Do you know how to do this. One other thing let the other person know you are doing this so they do not try to stop you from getting your money back. I agree there are a bunch of arseholes out there but the trick is to beat them to the punch but going to ebay and letting them know about it.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
If you want to deal with this Shmuck? Do not attempt to communicate with him anymore. Merely invoice him again. If he does not send you the money, than report it, as a non-payment to Ebay, and re-list. Keep the transcript, in case you need to forward it on to Ebay. Just my .02 sense

·
Registered
57 Posts
After reading these posts I'd agree with MarkStang and claim a "discovered defect" with Ebay and close this thing out. You'll never satisfy this idiot...I wouldn't deal with him/her any longer.

When I buy things I an pretty easy going...I usually don't care when it arrives. And when I sell things, I'm concerned that I give the right info and will do what I can to make things right. But I'll tell you, I wouldn't put up with this. End your suffering now.

Dan

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Tell eBay you accidentally ran over it with your car. Not salable anymore. But then you may have trouble relisting it.

Frank

1 - 20 of 34 Posts