Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... i cant get my darn carb right. I have to give the thing about 1/4 throttle just to get it running, then it runs poorly. The floats are adjusted to where gas dribbles out of the site holes when running. I had to swap carbs because the 650 i had on there wasnt enough. With the 650 it ran fine... so i know its just carb adjustments. The car smokes like crazy... so im thinking its the mixture screws???? I have tried to adjust them but nothing changed.
Hhhheeeeelllllppp! ::

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 390 Mach. Try spraying brake clean, carb cleaner or something like that around the base of the carb with it running and see if it smoothes out. It turned out that I had a gasket leak at the rear base just below the PCV connection. It was a wrong size gasket for the application.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I agree with Steve. Most likely a bad power valve. A vacuum leak causes a lean condition. Black smoke indicates a very rich condition. Don't forget the clean or replace your spark plugs when you get the problem solved. Also, smell the oil on your dip stick. If you can smell any gasoline at all then change your oil. It got dilluted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts