Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 65 Convertible with a 289 and C4 transmission. The car drives now, but will need a rebuild soon, as will the C4. I want to keep this car for many years. I don't want anything too radical, just a little more power than a 289 HiPo. I want good performance and a great sound. I have been given a quote of $2400 for a complete, return to stock, engin rebuild. I would like to install some good cast heads and better cam. What about GT40 cast heads? I want it to be reliable with a little extra kick. Also need advise on a C4 rebuid with a shift kit and torque converter. I would greatly appreciate any advise. Thanks

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
With a mild engine, you don't need killer heads. Also with 289's, you need to be mindfull of combustion chamber size. They have about 55 CC's, swithing to late model GT40 heads, you'll loose about a full point in compression!

Stick with the stock heads, mild clean up of the ports to remove casting flash and a good valve job and you'll be fine.

Buy a house grind cam from Summit, PAW, ect. They are exactly the same cams as Edelbrock's, all are made by Crane I believe, just that the Summit, ect cams will be cheaper.

If you can, farm the machine work out, assemble the engine if you can. Look to Northern auto parts or Powerhouse for complete rebuilding kits. These are high quality kits at low prices.

Stick with a Performer 289 Intake and a 600 cfm carb, Headers will be great or go for a pair of reproduction HIPO exhaust manifolds and a dual exhaust kit.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Search the archives...there have been many 289's built on this forum over the last year or so...it's pretty standard fare...putting your own combo together (a mild one but durable) should run 8.00 to 10.00 per HP, inclusive of cores.

A stock (rebuilt cor rectly) early input C4 with an 11" converter and shift kit is all you need...run an external cooler to dispose of the heat which the looser converter puts into the trans fluid.

I ran such an engine (patterned after the HiPo engine) and trans in my street racer back in my college days and ran mid 14's in street trim and 14.00's at the track with 4.62's, open headers and street tires. IIRC, it cost me around 1800.00, including converter, cooler and shift kit to build back then...

Good luck and feel free to post any specific questions you might have once in process...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts