Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the bushing on the linkage to the upper control arm. I removed the 4 bolts and seperated the arm from the linkage, but I can't figure out how to remove the ball joint so i can remove the bushing (shield) or watever it is and get it replaced. Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Jerrod,not sure if I read your post correctly,but if you are talking about the upper ball joint ,you have to drill or chissle the pop rivets out and replace them with the new bolts that came with your new ball joint.Hope this helps.FastE

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to keep the ball joint in tact if I can all I need to do is replace the bushing. The guys at Autoxone had this tuning fork looking tool but it didn't look right.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
AKA as a "pickle" fork. Sometimes, you can smack the side of the spindle, right where the ball joint drops through, and it will pop loose. And there is also another tool that you place between the two ball joints, turn it apart, and this will separate the joint.

G

·
0 Posts
I have replaced the ball joints on my front end a few times. The hardest of those was the first time when in order to change the upper ball joints I had to remove the POP RIVS holding the ball joint to the upper control arm.

As far as the pickle fork goes place it between the ball joint and spindle and strick the end of the pickle fork with a hammer until the spindle drops away.

It is much easier to do this with the upper control arm still attached.

Sorry dude but you will have to remove the pop riviots from the upper control arm even if you just want to change the bushing. If I were you I would go ahead and change all ball joints. They are not that expensive but it really, really, really sucks bad when they break.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I seem to recall some ball joints had the dust boots which just sit over the ball joint rather than is part of the ball joint assembly. However, I have to agree it's probably better to replace the ball joint. Even if it hasn't popped out, a worn ball joint makes it hard to align the front end.

Regards,

Dean T

1 - 6 of 6 Posts