Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know a good way to get motivated ? My restoration stalled about a year ago. The car is just about a rolling shell. The only thing still in it is the dash stuff, windows, stearing, wheels and tires. I hope to go to the Fabulous Fords show at Knotts. My dad got me a Edelbrock Performer 600CFM carboretor for my birthday ( Thanks Dad ! ) . I think he is trying to tell me something.

I should note that the big reason that I stopped working on it is because we had a baby. He's 10 months old now. Darn those things take a lot of your time !

JohnW

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I'm in the same position.

I tore my 67 apart in 96 to get painted. I'm still putting her back together.

In the meantime, I got married and now have a 4mo old son. I haven't worked on my 67 in about 6mo now.

I do enjoy working on my 67, but realized that I might never get to drive it if it isn't finished soon... So I decided to pay a local Mustang shop to put her back together. I would prefer to do the work myself, as it is all easy work, but I just don't have the time. Too many diapers to change...

[color:blue]
1967 Acapulco Blue coupe
302 4V, C4, 9" 3.25:1
Torq-Thrust "D" 225-60-14
1968 PDB, Corbeau
LeCarra, Alpine in-dash CD
http://www.geocities.com/mlnielsen_67/index.htm
WEBSITE UPDATED 2/28/01
</font color=blue>

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I can't think of a better reason to put my Mustang hobby on hold than my 8 month old little girl! Those evening cruises with my wife are on hold for a while, and I've also had to stop having my guitar buddies over for those late night jams. But to be perfectly honest, I'm really glad I'm at the "dad" stage of my life. I've always been a little envious of those guys at car shows who have their 5 year old helping them polish their car. I'm just a few short years away from that now, and I can't wait!

Don't get me wrong; having your first child must be a bit confining to everyone, including me. But think of it more like a brand new little Mustang lover! She or he will always want to ride in daddy's cool car, especially when you pick her up from school in front of her classmates!

As for just plain stalling with a car in progress...been there too. What always helped me was never getting too far from the hobby. I'm always ordering some small part, and subscribe to plenty of car magazines. I hit all the shows I can and surround myself with other car enthusiasts. You'll also get something out of helping a friend with their car. You may see more immediate results on their car, which can in turn fuel your own enthusiasm.

Don't give up! It's always worth it!

Dan66
66 Fastback, 289, Tahoe Turquoise,
Turq/White Pony, GT trim, 2nd owner

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Guys ,guys,
Don't panic,
I think the best thing you can do is pack the whole thing up, put the gear in a box ,send the lot to me and I'll assemble them (no charge for my labor) , just send monthly payments, then when both cars are totally finished you pay the freight back to the states.
I'll drive them around for a while just to make sure things are right.

Hell ,I"ll even pay for the freight to Australia my self.
Now what could be better than that.?

If in doubt give it a clout
If at first you don't succeed , find a bigger hammer
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/view?u=1584152&a=12055089&p=43600042.jpg

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
How about this for motivation this is what I started with and the finished product is in the sig. John http://a1060.g.akamai.net/f/1060/597/30minutes/www.zing.com/picture/pc7e1de4f0e257d39a85cd6f4db41625c/febec020.jpg

Opal frost pearl metallic 67 coupe http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/febef75b01.JPG
also have a 95 opal frost pearl G/T BOSS edition convertible belongs to swmbo

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi doug2stanger here
yeah been there done that.
with the doctor bills and baby stuff. that being about
17 years ago i could not even afford to drive mine.
had to drive 800 dollar chevy nova police car 1978.
which got worse mpg than the stang. but it had 4 doors.
sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you. but to
me when i put the wife and kids first i was the happiest.
then if i had a little time to myself. to work on my car
then it was fun. if you are still young, this could be a challenge
but it would be sad, if twenty years from now you still have your
stang, but your wife and kids are gone. maybe you can make it
a family project.
later

douglas rhine of nebraska
the man with the sad dog face

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I found that after the kid left (went to college) the motivation still isn't any easier to get. Seems that all those things I never did with the SWMBO now we have time to do. Again this puts off doing any work on the 69 Stang. However I feel that it has been patient to this point and maybe the pony can wait a little longer.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm just now getting back to a project that I started two years ago. My oldest daughter was just getting self reliable and could entertain herself without her mother requiring too much help from me, and we up and had another one. So much for my well laid plans. But now the younger one is starting to need less attention, so I have been able to get back to work on the car. What I'm trying to say is,wait a little longer the motivation will come back because if you want something bad enough, you can always find a way to make it happen. SWMBO has been bugging me to get the car finished for a couple of months now so I guess she's OK with me getting back to it. If that's not enough to motivate me, I don't know what is. Scott

Every day is a holiday if you love your job.

Current projects: 65 Fastback, 68 Coupe Oval Track Racer, 64 Galaxie 500 XL, 54 F-100 Pickup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts