Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys/Gals-

I am getting some "slippage when my C4 goes into high. A band adjustment did not seem to resolve the situation. The local auto trans people claim the problem can be resolved with a new shift kit. The kit he wants to install is manufactured by "Tomsco." He said that it is "slightly" firmer than a stock set-up. This is where the "collective wisdom" comes into play.....

Assuming the trans people are right, how much of a shift difference will be felt by the driver, meaning.... my wife DOES NOT like a "harsh" shift either as driver or passenger. Since she still feeds me I don't dare ignore her.....

Help

Tom

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
a shift kit simply increases hydrolic pressure in the trans, it is a hsrsher than stcok feel, however i do not belive that would fix a slippage problem, you might need new bands?

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I am by no means an expert in C-4s. however, the band adjustment you perform only deals with the low and reverse bands, IIRC. Slippage at the 2-3 shift may be sluggish due to a sticky/sluggish 2-3 valve. So, I have a couple of questions/comments...

1. When was the last time you serviced (filter, pan and converter drain) the tranny?
2. How many miles are on the trans since it was last rebuilt?
3. A valve body cleansing may do the trick. I had a 1962 Corvair station wagon with the powerglide trnas that would only shift from 1 to 2 by selecting neutral and then second gear manually. After I removed a buttload of varnish out of the various valve passages, the trans worked perfectly. You might have a similar situation...
CAMachinist as well as others may be able to provide more assistance. I have a C-4, but it presently is holding down my garage floor underneath my table saw.:p
Good luck.

G

·
Bite the bullet and rebuild it. Shift kits are only good and increasing the longevity of a new trans. Your slippage problems will come back in a short while by installing a shift kit. They are a little harsh if you get on it, but if you baby the throttle it will shift like normal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts