Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips? I was going to go with the "R" model for my 65 FB, but now that I've gutted the rear interior, I think I'll go with a more race oriented version, with the rear bars stretching into the trunk area. Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I got mine from Competition Engineering years ago. Two other well known places are Kirky Racing Products (205) 608-1156 and Autopower (613) 297-3300. Even with kits (excluding bolt-ins), there is a fair bit of fabrication. Good idea to check out the local circle track builders for a price from them. Even if you decide to do it yourself, you then know who can mandral bend roll bar tubing to modified/add/delete any bits from the kit you buy that you are not happy with. Also good to fine out if any of your friends have a tubing notcher if your going to do it yourself. Creating fishnecks with a handsaw & grinder are a bit of a pain.

Bob.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
gotta chime in with my pal 65 pony above. I got the 8 point from SW Racecars who have been fabricating race "stuff" since the 1950s. the bar stock used is NHRA legal and fit my 65 f/b (Xtreme) very well. I went the extra route and tied the main hoop into the Global West subframe connectors and the rear bars are, of course, tied into the rear frame rails. The price was just right and the "bundle of bars" along with the main hoop arrived in good shape. i haven't attached the front two bars yet as I am concerned about entering/exiting the car, however, there are ways around that...

talk to you some more in the chat room about it.....

randy

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,228 Posts
Since you're in NC, have you looked here?
http://www.herbertperformance.com/Catalog/Roll_Bars/roll_bars.html
I strongly suspect this is a lot more of a generic kit than most people would like, but I plan to buy one anyway. I also suspect it's the exact same kit sold by Summit for around the same price. But I can drive up to Herbert's in an hour and save about $65 in shipping.
If others have used one of these kits, I like to hear about it.
One of these days I'm gonna get my butt up there, unless somebody tells me the kit is horrible and unusable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts