Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i was just wonderin if i could get some of your opinions.

I just recently got a 1964.5 with a 260 V8 with a C-4 auto. This is gonna be my dirst car( i turn 16 in july) and I plan (of course) to restore it. The undercarriage and engine compartment has already been done and the only rust on the car anywhere is the normal mustang spot right in front of the front door, but it's very minor. The main thing is the interior wich will have to be completely re-done.

(sorry about the rambling on) NOW TO THE QUESTION

the 260 only puts out 164 horse and I would like to pep it up some without having to do something very drastic (so i can keep it as original as possible) now i dont plan on racin or anything but i'd like to have something there when i put my foot in it can anyone help me?

your help would be greatly appreciated

G

·
0 Posts
First off you have come to the right place. Do you have a place that you can work on your car and also any family members that are car inclined?

As far as I know parts for a 289 and 302 will work on a 260. You can do all of the usual things like cam change, intake and headers. You can upgrade your carb but that might not at all be necessary if you do do not go past 500 cfm. You can do things like port you heads but that requires taking the heads off or you can buy new heads.
You can upgrade the gearing in you differential. You can also get a shift kit for the c4 for harder shifts and shifts that uses your cars power band better. You can also mess around with advance and gain a little here and there.
Going faster means you might need to stop faster so check your car out and see how good of shape it is in.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I'd be interested to know if the rear gear is something you'd consider changing.

http://home.netcom.com/~jonescha/Photos/DCP_0355_178x109.jpg
"If you're under control you're not going fast enough"
Parnelli Jones
Try my website

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, i do have a place to work on it and my dad is good with cars (he's got a 69 mach 1 fastback he's workin on now)

and i always wondered if the 289/302 parts would work.

thanx

if anyone else has any input please be myy guest to reply

G

·
0 Posts
Since you are not driving yet i would suggest having the heads done now, unless you plan on buyng new ones. because i am 17 and my 68 coupe is my first car also and i originally planned on having the heads done but...gas prices arent helping and mainly i cant be without my car for more than a a day because have to work and go to school. but since your not driving it yet now would be a good time to pull the heads off and change your cam.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts