Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need any tips on attaching my my speedo cable back up. I was able to unscrew it a few weeks ago to change my bezel.
But now I just cant seem to hook her back up. I can get the cable in but she just wont tighten up. It seems to just wont catch that first tread Any and all tips welcome

HELP. help

·
Premium Member
12,034 Posts
Josep and I just went through this a few days ago. After we both wrestled with trying to get the nut started onto the back side of the speedometer for what seemed like a couple of hours I finally crawled under the car and pulled the end of the cable with the driven gear out of the transmission and then pushed some of the cable into the car. The nut went on with ease. It seems like the nut would go back on if you removed it but that just ain't so. Save yourself a lot of time and frustration and crawl under the car with a 7/16" wrench in hand.

·
Registered
954 Posts
The biggest issue is the square end on the inner cable. If it's not aligned with the square in the speedo head, the nut won't thread on. Awhtx has a very good fix. Sometimes you can turn the speedo head end of the gauge and it'll line up. I've used a very small flat screwdriver in the speedo head to turn it.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
+1 on what Travis ststed, if your have enough slack in the cable housing, the cable is not in the right position to be instlled in the cluster, you will just have to rotate the cluster a bit or line to get it started.

Yes, it is a tight fit, I was able to angle the cluster left side against the dash, and right side pulled out (sitting in the car, facing forward). With your hand and body, twist and reach the best your can to get a few threads started, them use a long wrench to finish it off. If you are like me, I have large fat hands, get your wife, girlfriend, or someone with thin hands and arms to reach in there and get it started.

Put a towel down on your shaft tube, to prevent the cluster from scratching it.

Yes, if all else fails, as awhtx stated, get under the car and remove it from the transmission, to get you a little more slack to get it installed on your cluster.

My 1st cable was a tight fit behind the cluster like yours, I accidently buggered the cable up on my transmission removal, and installed a Scott Drake replacement. I have to say, it is a little longer than my last one and makes it easier to attach and remove it from the cluster.

·
Premium Member
12,034 Posts
So you think I might not have the square end of the cable in right.
Getting the square end of the drive cable inside the speedometer is easy. Just rotate the cable a tiny bit with your fingers if it doesn't go in easily. If you can get the big nut on the outer cable housing up to the threaded post on the speedometer the square end of the cable is inserted correctly. Getting the big nut to catch the threads on the speedometer post is the hard part. There must be a little bit of slack in the outer cable housing to get that big nut started.

·
Registered
546 Posts
My trouble was that the thin wire wrap around the square drive cable had come loose and interfered with seating the cable in the speedometer. I wish I had thought about pulling the drive cable back down but it may not have helped.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Getting the square end of the drive cable inside the speedometer is easy. Just rotate the cable a tiny bit with your fingers if it doesn't go in easily. If you can get the big nut on the outer cable housing up to the threaded post on the speedometer the square end of the cable is inserted correctly. Getting the big nut to catch the threads on the speedometer post is the hard part. There must be a little bit of slack in the outer cable housing to get that big nut started.
That's my problem. lol I am so frustrated I was thinking do I really need to know my speed

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Disconnect the cable from the trans, undo the retainer clip on the body and you can get plenty of cable to work with.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
I had the opposite problem. Apparently the PO (my dad) had an aftermarket speedo cable installed. It would go in and work, but would not stay in. The piece on the end of the cable was too long. I cut a bit off the end and it would then go in far enough to get the nut started.

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang
7 Posts
That same thing is happening to me right now. It's driving me insane. CJ pony parts video made it look so much easier than what it was getting it out and putting the bezel back in lol

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
While working on my gauges, I removed and installed the cluster in my '66 a dozen times. I found it impossible to connect the cable with the cluster laid forward as shown in the OP's pic. I discovered that I can reach the cable from the bottom on the right side of the steering column, with the instrument installed. You have to do it by feel, but I can now disconnect or reconnect the cable in under a minute.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
It could also be the other end- when you pulled the cable off, it may have pulled the square end out of the drive gear in the trans. The extra length is now bottoming out on the speedo and won't let the nut get a grip on the thread. Using your fingers, rotate the inner cable and push until it fully seats into the outer cable and drive gear. Then as mentioned above, have your gauge in the normal position, and reach up from underneath to engage and tighten the nut. It is possible that if you fought it coming apart, it may have stretched the inner cable. In that event, call NPD and get a new one coming.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Huh. Any time I've done this, it was one of the last things I connected to the cluster, just pushed the cable in all the way and tightened it down.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I think this is one of the things we've got easier on the 67/68s. If you pull the heater controls out you can almost see where the cable connects to the cluster. Just reach right in the hole and screw it in.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I need any tips on attaching my my speedo cable back up. I was able to unscrew it a few weeks ago to change my bezel.
But now I just cant seem to hook her back up. I can get the cable in but she just wont tighten up. It seems to just wont catch that first tread Any and all tips welcome
View attachment 743960
HELP. help
Try putting a little anti-seize on the threads.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts