Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week I had my tailshaft out to replace the bushing and seal. When I was taking the linkage loose from the tailshaft, I believe the car was in neutral but I'm not absolutely sure.

Anyway, I put the tailshaft back in and hooked the linkage back up to it. I now cannot shift succesfully into most gears!

I disconnected the shift rods from the shifter to see if I could move them manually. I can move the 1-2 shift rod from 1-N-2 but that's it - neither the 3-4 rod nor the reverse rod will budge, no matter what position I've got the 1-2 rod in. It's almost as if the reverse rod is engaged, which would make the other rods not move, but 1-2 moves. So now I'm beginning to think that it's stuck in 3 or 4. I am positive it's not in neutral because with the driveshaft yoke in I can't budge the tailshaft. I also tried flooring the clutch a couple of times to see if it was maybe making the shift rod bind up, but it still won't move.

What should I do here? Tomorrow I'm thinking I'll have someone hold the clutch in while I try to budge the rods, but if that doesn't work I have no idea what to try next.

Visit my repair page for Repair info, with pictures! http://home.dencity.com/mustangcub

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
Sounds like you may have one of the rods on incorrectly. Take the
rods off and center all the shift levers until the trans is in neutral.
Take your time and place the rods back on so none of the shift
levers have to be moved. I did it last time I took out my toploader
and it was a little bit of work to get it back together.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rods themselves were never removed from the shifter pawls in the case. Only the adjuster nut ends were removed from the shifter itself. With all the rods hanging loose (not attached to the shifter), I should be able to manually run them thru the gears. They won't.

For the record, I attempted a few times putting my adjuster in the shifter hole, attaching all the rods to the shifter and aligning them and tightening down the nuts to see if it would shift - it wouldn't.

Visit my repair page for Repair info, with pictures! http://home.dencity.com/mustangcub

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Hey Joe,
Educate this OF....why does the tailshaft have to come out to replace the bushing and seal in the tailshaft housing? Doesn't the housing just unbolt from the back of the trans?
I remember the shifter mounting on the tailshaft housing so the shift rods would have to be disconnected but that's no biggie...

What am I missing?

As to the rest of your difficulties, my manual has detailed directions and exploded views but it's all Greek to me....my experience is with C4's...*G*...do you have a trans section in your manual? Darn snap rings and blocker gears and thrust washers...it's amazing those things work at all....*G*

I did see something about using a .25"D piece of rod to align the shifter when tightening the shift rods...does that mean anything?

Hey, I feel for ya....

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
You will have to work with the trans. itself with out the shifter
hooked up till you can get it into neutral. Work with the reverse
lever it may be in reverse. You can try moving the crank by hand
to see which way the drive shaft is moving. Moving the crank may
give the trans. some slack so you can get it out of gear.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
Sounds like you are using a Hust comp. plus shifter. Is it?
If so, just one turn of the rod adj. nuts will throw it out of
adj. Work with the rods and moving the crank by hand, it
should come out of gear. I hope!
You will need a 1/4" bolt to put in the centering slot of the
shifter. Then you can spin the adj. nuts till they match up.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The idea about turning the crank is a good one - that might release the transmission. If that doesn't work and disengaging the clutch doesn't work, I'll be up a creek w/o a paddle!

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Well, do you have any dogs you can kick?

The wild ones on my place know when I'm havin' car troubles...

hehehe

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
No you won't. Just take your time and look at everything. I just did the same
thing and I got upset with myself. I thought " what now" but I took my time
and looked at all the options and it worked out ok. You didn't break the trans.
just by having it sit there. It will come out of gear. After it does make sure you
properly adj. the shift linkage so it will shift all the way out of each gear before
going into the next.

·
Registered
514 Posts
On the Ford 4spd shifter there is a provision for shifter adjustment. On the side of the shifter there is a small hole. Place the shifter in neutral and you can insert a rod into the hole. The rod will pass through all of the shift "levers" inside the shifter holding them in the neutral position. Loosen the adusting nuts on the rods. Set the gear selectors on the side of the tranny to neutral. Retighten the adujusting nuts. Remove the "aligning rod" you placed in the shifter.

http://216.71.48.244/archive/mikecar.jpg

65 Fastback 289 4spd in storage :-(
91 CRX Si... A.K.A. my go-kart with AC!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
It sounds like the tranny is hung up between gears, this happens every so often on my 67 when downshifting.I usually jack it up and have to give a light tap with a hammer on one of the pawls-just figuring out which one while you upside down can be fun.What happens is the tranny never completely disengaged from one gear when the other rod was probably bumped while you were working, now it is hung up.If you have another tranny around it may be easier to look at it to see which arm is only partially engaged-thats the one you need to tap.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I fought with my linkage for a long time after several parking-lot episodes of being locked in first and reverse at the same time caused me to carry a 9/16 wrench to free up the shift arms. Even with the adjusting rod settings I found that I had to run reverse back to where it was semi-difficult to catch before the problem went away. Before this Summer I think I'm going to the Hurst linkage as I still don't trust the thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts