Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving the Mustang Saturday and enjoying the benefits of my new carb, I picked up a nail in one of my tires. My tires have plenty of tread but are very old. Even though they are not in the budget I decided I should get new tires. Then I thought, why put new tires on my old wire wheels when I really want new Styled Steel Wheels, no the SSW's are definitely not in the budget. Then the Mailman delivered my new NPD catalog... I should have my new wheels tomorrow. Now for my question, what is the biggest or the best size tire for my new 14x5.5 SSW's? As always, thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I'm running 205-R14-70's all the way around (on 14 X 5.5 styled steel wheels, so ignore this pic). I think that for white walls, that is a large as you want to go. I have heard of some people running 205's up front and 215's or 225's in the rear, but I think the tire would roll too much on a rim that narrow. Mine handle pretty well when the pressure is good.

Shannon a.k.a. The ShanMan! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
66' Vintage Burgundy C-code coupe
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571656&a=11943851&p=42935059&Sequence=2.jpg

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I'm running 215-r60-14 BFG T/A's on my SSW's and think they look great. Contrary to Shanman's concern about handling, I've noticed no problem.

Doug-GT/CS w/289-2v,PDB,A/C,PS,candyapple red,black top and interior,pertronix,chromeSS Wheels w/ GT centers, 215x14 BFG radial T/A's 3.55:1 open and KYB's

1 - 4 of 4 Posts