Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my Chicago Mustang came with four left side tires, means the two on the right side roll the wrong direction. Maybe no legal issue in the US, but a big problem in germany. Unfortunately there are no white letter tires available in germany these days (believe it or not) - so I am looking for a US source.

First - which are the most beautiful white letter tires for a 64 Mustang (Cooper Cobra G/T, BG Goodrich) and where could I get som in the US ?!

Best regards from munich/germany

Mike

·
Registered
571 Posts
Bfgoodrich radial t/a's are a pretty popular choice. You might check tirerack.com, that's where I usually shop.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Have you tried googling US sources, this is what I found in 2 minutes of looking

Radial TA's at tire rack, not sure about shipping to germany but why not?

BFGoodrich Radial T/A

Or maybe this for Cooper
Cooper Tires - Dealer Locator

Cooper Tire & Rubber Compay Deutschland GmbH

Roman Schneider
Breitefeld 13
64839 Munster-Breitefeld
Germany
Phone: +49(0) 6071 928 6000
Fax: +49(0) 6071 928 6060

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
ive never been happy with the BF Goodrich T/A for handling purposses. even though i stuck on another set last year beacuse im cheap and wont spend the money for better ones.
if you have the extra cash try comp T/A's. or FIrestone Firehawks.

I had great results with Good year Eagle GT II . not white walls but imo one of the best out there for the money.
but if you have 14 inch tires the pickins are getting slim with any of them nowadays

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
What do you mean left side tires? You have four directional tires all for the left side?

·
Premium Member
5,101 Posts
I've heard of directional tires (for grip), but it only matters which way they are mounted on the rim. You can put them on either side of the car. What's up with the letters going the wrong direction?
Dave

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Ya they have an arrow on them showing direction of rotation. B.F.Goodrich Traction TA are directional for example. B.F.Goodrich Radial T/A aren't. Once mounted they must stay on the same side.

·
Premium Member
13,177 Posts
ive never been happy with the BF Goodrich T/A for handling purposses. even though i stuck on another set last year beacuse im cheap and wont spend the money for better ones.............."

listen to this man. Forget BF Goodrich Radial T/A's. The worst tire for wet or dry traction. They are NOT safe.

Open up your wallet and get a set of Avon's. The Avon CR6 ZZ (DOT) street legal race tire looks very period correct. Pricey though, and you can't get them everywhere, but in Europe (where you are) they might be easier to find.

Directory Listing of /racetirepricing/Avon Race Tires/

If you don't want to spend the cash that Avons cost, there are plenty of better tires than Radial T/A's

Z.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I'm glad someone else asked about the left sided tires. I was afraid to since I had never heard of such. Kinda like a fellow on one of the Falcon web sites that wanted the bird on the center caps all facing forward. Heck birds fly in all directions.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hu guys,

I have Cooper Cobra Radial G/T at my 64 1/2. The arrows at passenger side run correct, the ones at the driver side run the wrong direction.

I checked the inside of the wheel but there are no white letters, so if I would turn then on the wheel the other way round I would miss those.

I´ll post photos for you ...

Mike

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I have the BFG Radial TAs on mine and think they look better than the Coopers. Another option is the Firestone Firehawk. My friend has those on his 68 and like them better than the Coopers he had before.

I don't agree with the comment about them not being safe. I have not had any issues with them. I do agree that there are better more modern tires, but my car is a cruiser and I like the classic look.

·
Registered
35,836 Posts
I have seen these Cooper Cobra Radial G/T tires, and did not remember anything about them being directional, so I looked them up, and the tread is not directional, nor does Cooper offer them as left/right. Let's see a photo of the directional arrow.

·
Premium Member
13,177 Posts
"...............I don't agree with the comment about them not being safe. I have not had any issues with them. I do agree that there are better more modern tires, but my car is a cruiser and I like the classic look.
if you a search on them in this forum you will find several members that have had close calls in emergency situations due to the lack of traction with BF Goodrich Radial T/A's.

Your car may be "just a cruiser", but can you guarantee that a kid on a bike won't dart in front of your car someday?

Z.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
There is not a 14-15" white letter tire out there that is better than mediocre when it comes to traction. I've done a lot of research and there are almost no high performance tires available in the 14-15" size. I'm talking the really serious stuff - what Tire Rack calls extreme performance or ultra high performance. And the ones out there are all blackwall.

I got lucky and scored a set of BFG Gforce sport tires in the 225/60-15 size. Pretty good tire but a blackwall.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
yupp, been there done that, tis why i ended up with the BFG's again.

like i mentioned the best tires i ever had for this car was the Eagle GT II but I dont even think theyre avil anymore in 14

my wife has 13's on her civic and I had a heck of a time a decent ones for that car last month.

to make it worse local smaller shops dont even have the machines to fit the rims anymore (from what I saw around here)

·
Premium Member
13,177 Posts
There is not a 14-15" white letter tire out there that is better than mediocre when it comes to traction..............."
If I was desperate for white letter tires then I would paint white the existing black raised letters (on a better tire than the BFG Radial T/A)

yupp, been there done that, tis why i ended up with the BFG's again..............."
I've got nothing against BF Goodrich. Their Traction T/A is a pretty good tire at a decent price. However if money was no object I'd get the Avon CR6 ZZ (DOT) street legal race tire.

Z.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Directional treads are often used on high performance tires. Browse on Tire Rack for example. Go by brand and type not by size. Selection is very limited in 14" rim sizes.

Directional tires are generally blackwall. If whitewall or white letter they would either have the whitewall or white letters on both sides or the tire would have to be labeled right or left.

Directional tires must be rotated front to back only.

A very popular directional tire is BFGoodrich Traction T/A T.They are highly rated and reasonably priced. Take a look at this tire tread and description for an example of directional tire. Michelin Pilot Sport and other varieties are directional. Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval. Look at the treads, they are obviousely diectional and stated to be directional.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
if you a search on them in this forum you will find several members that have had close calls in emergency situations due to the lack of traction with BF Goodrich Radial T/A's.

Your car may be "just a cruiser", but can you guarantee that a kid on a bike won't dart in front of your car someday?

Z.
I've heard this stuff before, and don't buy it. I have Radial T/As on my '65, and have driven the car fairly aggressively on the street with more power than most street cars have, used these tires to bed in new brakes, and the only thing I can conclude from personal experience is that with aggressive braking and acceleration ALL tires will lose grip on the street, I've broken the grip threshold on ALL tires I've had (everything from Radial T/As to Y-rated street tires to r-comps), and I just don't see these tires being anything but typical for a low to mid-priced, relatively hard radial tire.

Are they a suitable tire for the track? No. Do they grip as well as some of the softer, higher-rated, and higher-priced tires out there? No. But are they a safety hazard, lacking needed grip to perform in emergency situations (with reason for a street car)? Absolutely not. I bet I can maneuver better and brake shorter in my '65 with Radial T/As than the new Toyota Sequoia I drive.

The only thing I'll add is that I don't have experience with Radial T/As in heavy rain or snow/ice.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
if money was no object I'd get the Avon CR6 ZZ (DOT) street legal race tire.

Z.
The only thing to consider when buying such a soft tire for the street, aside from much faster wear, is that these (and all tires with double-digit treadwear ratings) will throw A LOT more road debris on your car. I ran 60-treadwear Pirelli P-Zero Corsas on my '98, and you can't expect the paint to remain flawless near the wheel wells running tires that soft.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts